Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Guinea-Bissau’s president issues a decree dissolving the opposition-controlled parliament -Capitatum
Surpassing:Guinea-Bissau’s president issues a decree dissolving the opposition-controlled parliament
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 08:13:41
BISSAU,Surpassing Guinea-Bissau (AP) — Guinea-Bissau President Umaro Sissoco Embalo issued a decree Monday dissolving the nation’s opposition-controlled parliament, less than six months after it was reconstituted following a similar move by the president in 2022.
Embalo cited last week’s shootout between troops loyal to him and forces controlled by the parliament, which he described as a failed coup.
“The date for holding the next legislative elections will be set in due time in accordance with the provisions of … the Constitution,” the decree stated. “This Presidential Decree comes into force immediately.”
The order referred to the “seriousness,” of a shootout that started in the capital, Bissau, between members of the Presidential Palace Battalion and the National Guard as the former tried to rearrest two ministers under investigation for alleged corruption who had been released from custody by the latter.
The leadership of the parliament rejected the president’s move, noting that the constitution states that parliament cannot be dissolved in the first 12 months after an election.
“If this situation happens, regardless of the mechanism used, we are in the presence of a subversion of the democratic order or a constitutional coup d’état,” Domingos Simões Pereira, president of the parliament, told reporters.
It is the second time in less than two years that Embalo has dissolved the parliament. Three months after surviving a coup attempt in February 2022, the Guinea Bissau leader did the same thing, citing “unresolvable differences” with the legislature.
Guinea-Bissau’s semi-presidential system limits the president’s powers by allowing the majority party in the parliament to appoint the Cabinet. As a result, the National Guard — which is under the Ministry of Interior — is largely controlled by the opposition-dominated parliament, while the Presidential Palace Battalion is loyal to Embalo.
Embalo, a former army general, was declared the winner of a December 2019 runoff presidential election, which his opponent contested. Tensions have remained between him and the coalition of opposition groups that won the majority in Guinea-Bissau’s parliament in June when the parliament was reconstituted.
Last week’s shooting incident lasted from Thursday night until Friday morning and happened while the president was attending the U.N. climate summit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Upon his return, he dismissed Victor Tchongo, the head of the National Guard and said Tchongo hadn’t acted alone when he asked members of the guard to release the officials.
The bid to release the officials — Economy and Finance Minister Suleimane Seidi and Treasury Secretary António Monteiro — “clearly revealed the complicity of grand corruption with certain political interests” and sows “strong evidence of political complicity,” Embalo said in the decree.
It was not clear if the parliament would continue to sit despite the presidential decree. Pereira insisted the assembly remains in place because its dissolution is unconstitutional.
Since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974, Guinea-Bissau, a country of 2 million people, has endured continued political turmoil, experiencing four coups and more than a dozen attempted coups.
Last week’s shootout is the fourth attempted or successful military takeover of power in West and Central Africa in the past six months, including last week’s attacks on military barracks and prisons in Sierra Leone. It further raises tensions in the once-politically stable region where coups have surged, with eight military takeovers since 2020.
___
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria
veryGood! (2924)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Box of hockey cards found at home sells for $3.7m, may contain Wayne Gretzky rookie cards
- Dave Sims tips hat to MLB legend and Seattle greats as Mariners' play-by-play announcer
- The Biden campaign is launching a nationwide effort to win the women’s vote, Jill Biden will lead it
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Fate of Biden impeachment inquiry uncertain as Hunter Biden testifies before House Republicans
- How Hakeem Jeffries’ Black Baptist upbringing and deep-rooted faith shapes his House leadership
- Louisiana moves closer to final passage of tough-on-crime bills that could overhaul justice system
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Public health officer in Michigan keeps her job after lengthy legal fight over COVID rules
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Box of hockey cards found at home sells for $3.7m, may contain Wayne Gretzky rookie cards
- Kids play hockey more skillfully and respectfully than ever, yet rough stuff still exists on the ice
- Biden administration offering $85M in grants to help boost jobs in violence-plagued communities
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Sweden clears final hurdle to join NATO as Hungary approves bid
- American women's cycling team suspended after dressing mechanic as a rider to avoid race disqualification
- Essential winter tips on how to drive in the snow from Bridgestone's winter driving school
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
How can you make the most of leap day? NPR listeners have a few ideas
Wear the New Elegant Casual Trend with These Chic & Relaxed Clothing Picks
See the full 'Dune: Part Two' cast: Who plays Paul, Chani, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen in 2024 sequel?
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
At lyrics trial, Don Henley recounts making Eagles classic Hotel California and says he was not a drug-filled zombie
Alabama man arrested decades after reporting wife missing
Israel accused of deliberately starving Gaza civilians as war plans leave Netanyahu increasingly isolated