Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult -Capitatum
Surpassing:Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-05 15:00:42
ORLANDO,Surpassing Fla. (AP) — A 17-year-old suspect in a shooting that killed two people and wounded seven others during a Halloween celebration that drew 75,000 revelers to the streets of downtown Orlando, Florida, last week has been charged as an adult, a prosecutor said Monday.
Jaylen Edgar was charged as an adult with two second-degree murder charges and a count of attempted murder, though the case will be presented before a grand jury, which could decide to up the charges to first-degree murder, said State Attorney Andrew Bain.
“This decision was not made lightly, and only after reviewing all the available evidence,” Bain said at a news conference in Orlando.
Edgar is accused of opening fire during a Halloween street celebration that drew tens of thousands of costumed revelers to downtown Orlando’s bar and restaurant district early Friday. Besides the two men who were killed, an additional seven people were wounded and a woman was trampled as people fled in terror, according to the Orlando Police Department.
One of the Halloween celebrants killed and another who was injured were students at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
Edgar was tackled at the scene by some of the 100 police officers who were patrolling downtown Orlando.
Among the factors that went into the decision to charge Edgar as an adult were “the brazen nature of the crime” and the fact that multiple people were shot, the prosecutor said.
“To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime,” Bain said. “This was a blatant execution in the middle of our streets, and so that’s something that we can’t have in our community.”
There was no online court docket for Edgar so it couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney. Moreover, the case originated in juvenile court, where records are not public. An email to the Orange County Public Defender’s office seeking information was not immediately returned Monday.
Bain wouldn’t disclose whether authorities knew of a motive and said detectives were still determining how he obtained the handgun.
The Halloween celebration, which is one of the biggest events in downtown Orlando each year, took place about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Orlando’s tourist district, and it primarily attracts central Florida residents.
In response to the shootings, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer last Friday issued a local state of emergency for the downtown entertainment area. Under the weeklong order, alcohol sales will end at midnight, and a curfew will be enforced from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
During past Halloween celebrations, police would close off downtown streets and use dogs to screen for weapons as people walked past entry points, but they stopped doing that after Florida lawmakers passed a permit-less concealed carry law in 2023.
veryGood! (1111)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- All-access NHL show is coming from the makers of ‘Formula 1: Drive to Survive’
- When Calls the Heart's Mamie Laverock “Fighting Hard” in Hospital After Balcony Fall
- Get Rid of Excess Cuticles in 15 Seconds With This $4.97 Miracle in a Bottle
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Francis Ford Coppola addresses inappropriate on-set accusations: 'I'm too shy'
- Ishana Night Shyamalan talks debut 'The Watchers,' her iconic dad and his 'cheeky cameos'
- A timeline of the investigation of the Gilgo Beach killings
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Solar Panel Prices Are Low Again. Here’s Who’s Winning and Losing
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Trump's conviction in New York extends losing streak with jurors to 0-42 in recent cases
- Missouri sets execution date for death row inmate Marcellus Williams, despite doubts over DNA evidence
- When Calls the Heart's Mamie Laverock “Fighting Hard” in Hospital After Balcony Fall
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Trump ally Steve Bannon ordered to report to prison July 1 in contempt of Congress case
- Trump to campaign in Arizona following hush money conviction
- Idaho Murder Case: Ethan Chapin’s Mom Tearfully Shares How She Finds Comfort After His Death
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Records expunged for St. Louis couple who waved guns at protesters. They want their guns back
Biden lauds WWII veterans on D-Day 80th anniversary, vows NATO solidarity in face of new threat to democracy
Kendall Jenner spills what she saw on Gerry Turner's phone before 'Golden Bachelor' finale
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Man in Mexico died of a bird flu strain that hadn’t been confirmed before in a human, WHO says
Security forced to step in as man confronts Chicago Sky's Chennedy Carter at team hotel
Spotify is increasing membership prices again: See if your monthly bill will change