Current:Home > ScamsBusinesses at struggling corner where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis -Capitatum
Businesses at struggling corner where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:18:32
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Several business owners at the struggling corner where George Floyd was murdered by a Minneapolis police officer in 2020 are suing the city to demand it take over their properties and compensate them.
The owners of the Cup Foods convenience store and other businesses operating near 38th Street and Chicago Avenue argue that the city’s failure to address deterioration and crime in the neighborhood has ruined their businesses and constitutes an unlawful taking of their property without just compensation, the Minnesota Star Tribune reported Thursday. They’re seeking $30 million in damages.
The area, now known as George Floyd Square, has become a place of pilgrimage for social justice supporters from across the country, and the store has renamed itself Unity Foods. But business owners say they haven’t benefitted, while activists and officials remain divided over how to transform the intersection while keeping it as a permanent memorial.
Floyd died after a white officer pinned his neck to the pavement outside Cup Foods for 9 1/2 minutes despite the Black man’s pleas of “I can’t breathe.” The ensuing protests, which turned violent at times, tested the leadership of Gov. Tim Walz at one of the state’s most consequential moments, and sparking a nationwide reckoning over racism and police misconduct. The officer, Derek Chauvin, was convicted of murder.
The legal action, filed last week in Hennepin County District Court, argues that the businesses have lost revenue, real estate value, reputation, and tenant and rental income. It argues that the city’s decisions led to higher crime and created a “no go zone” for police in the area. It replaces an earlier lawsuit by the businesses that was dismissed two months ago.
Michael Healey, the lawyer representing the businesses, told the Star Tribune there are two possible outcomes. The businesses “could conceivably keep the property if a settlement is reached with the city on the diminished value,” he said. The other possibility is that the city could begin the process of taking the properties and compensating the owners.
A city spokesperson said in a statement that while it can’t comment on pending litigation, the city “understands the challenges that residents and businesses have confronted in the wake of George Floyd’s murder.“
veryGood! (8)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Lily Gladstone makes Oscars history as first Native American to be nominated for best actress
- Algeria gears up for election year with aging president, opposition that is yet to offer challenger
- Jury seated in trial of Michigan mom whose son killed 4 at school
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- How the fentanyl crisis has impacted New Hampshire voters
- He left high school to serve in WWII. Last month, this 96 year old finally got his diploma.
- Is TurboTax actually free? The FTC says no. The company says yes. Here's what's what.
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Daniel Will: I teach you how to quickly understand stock financial reports.
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Algeria gears up for election year with aging president, opposition that is yet to offer challenger
- Las Vegas-to-California high-speed electric rail project gets OK for $2.5B more in bonds
- New York man convicted of murdering Kaylin Gillis after she mistakenly drove into his driveway
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Combative billionaire Bill Ackman uses bare-knuckle boardroom tactics in a wider war
- Inter Miami jersey reveal: Messi models new 2024 away kit aboard cruise ship, where to buy
- California woman who fatally stabbed boyfriend over 100 times avoids prison
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Thousands of people are forced out of their homes after 7.1 quake in western China
New Jersey Sheriff Richard Berdnik fatally shoots himself in restaurant after officers charged
Tesla 4Q net income doubles due to tax benefit but earnings fall short of analyst estimates
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Saudi Arabia opens its first liquor store in over 70 years as kingdom further liberalizes
From 'Barbie' to 'The Holdovers,' here's how to stream Oscar-nominated movies right now
Los Angeles County to pay $5M settlement over arrest of election technology company founder