Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|Russell Brand faces sexual assault claim dating to 2003, London police say -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Russell Brand faces sexual assault claim dating to 2003, London police say
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:32:11
London — Police in London on TrendPulseMonday said they had received a report of alleged sexual assault after media revelations about the British comedian and actor Russell Brand. A joint investigation by The Times, Sunday Times and Channel 4 television on Saturday published claims from four women of rape, sexual assaults and emotional abuse against Brand.
Brand, 48, strongly denied the allegations, stemming from incidents which are said to have taken place between 2006 and 2013, in a video statement released Friday night.
He maintained that his relationships have always been "consensual," even during a period when he admitted being "very, very promiscuous."
The Times and Sunday Times on Monday said more women had come forward to make claims about his behavior in the early 2000s, without giving further details.
The revelations come amid criticism of how sexual assault cases are handled in the criminal justice system in the U.K., as well as how media organizations have handled similar accusations of inappropriate behavior by big-name stars. One of the organizations hit hardest by such allegations has been the Metropolitan Police itself, after a serving officer was convicted of the 2021 rape and murder of a young woman in London.
In a short statement, the Metropolitan Police said: "On Sunday September 17, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003," adding that police were "in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support."
The force said it had been in touch with the newspapers and the documentary makers at Channel 4 "to ensure that anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sexual offense is aware of how to report this to the police."
Brand's former employers the BBC and Channel 4, as well as a production company, have launched their own investigations into the claims.
According to the newspapers and the documentary, Brand allegedly raped one woman in his Los Angeles home. Another claims that he assaulted her during a three-month relationship when she was 16 and still at school.
Brand became known internationally as the former husband of pop star Katy Perry after forging a career as a stand-up comedian, with near-the-knuckle routines, often about drugs and sex.
He presented on television reality shows and played rock star Aldous Snow in the 2008 film "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," and its 2010 sequel "Get Him to the Greek."
In recent years he has become a prominent conspiracy theorist, using his YouTube channel to question the COVID-19 pandemic to his nearly seven million followers. He has argued that the global pandemic was a cover-up by the global elite to enforce radical social change.
- In:
- Rape
- Sexual Assault
- Russell Brand
veryGood! (18297)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- David Sedaris reads from 'Santaland Diaries,' a Christmastime classic
- Gynecologist convicted of sexually abusing dozens of patients faces 20 years in prison
- She was a popular yoga guru. Then she embraced QAnon conspiracy theories
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- These Trader Joe’s cookies may contain rocks. See the products under recall
- Kansas football player arrested for allegedly committing criminal threat, causing terror
- Black Friday in July Tech Deals: Major Markdowns on Macbook, AirPods, Beats, AirTag, Roku, Bose, and More
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Viral sexual assault video prompts police in India to act more than 2 months later
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- A maternity ward in Oregon is the scene of fatal gunfire
- Arkansas Treasurer Mark Lowery leaving office in September after strokes
- Author Susan Kuklin: These teens wanted to let other kids know 'they are not alone'
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Clemson University imposes 4-year suspension on fraternity for ‘chemical burn’ ritual, other hazing
- Tarnished Golden Globes attempt a comeback, after years of controversy
- Rooted in Motown, Detroit style skating rolls on into the next generation
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Steven Spielberg was a fearful kid who found solace in storytelling
Education Department opens investigation into Harvard’s legacy admissions
Fire rages after reactor 'catastrophically failed' at Pittsburgh power substation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Immerse yourself in this colossal desert 'City' — but leave the selfie stick at home
Man who killed three people in small South Dakota town sentenced to life in prison
LeBron James' 18-Year-Old Son Bronny James Suffers Cardiac Arrest During Workout at USC