Current:Home > NewsAt least 27 migrants found dead in the desert near Tunisian border, Libyan government says -Capitatum
At least 27 migrants found dead in the desert near Tunisian border, Libyan government says
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:33
CAIRO (AP) — At least 27 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa have died in recent days in the country’s western desert near the border with Tunisia, Libyan authorities said.
In a statement posted on Facebook, Libya’s Interior Ministry said late Tuesday the bodies were discovered recently near the border and that a forensic team had been deployed to the area. In the same post, the ministry published pictures of African migrants receiving treatment from Libyan medical teams.
Mohamed Hamouda, a spokesperson for the Libyan government, on Wednesday confirmed the discovery of the bodies to The Associated Press, but declined to provide any further details.
In recent months, Tunisian security forces began removing some migrants from coastal areas, busing them elsewhere and, migrants say, dumping some of them in the desert. Earlier this month, Tunisia’s Interior Minister admitted that small groups of sub-Saharan migrants trying to enter the country are being pushed back into the desert border areas with Libya and Algeria.
Tunisia’s eastern coast has overtaken neighboring Libya as the region’s main launching point for migrants, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa, trying to get to Italy and other parts of Europe in small boats. With migrants pouring into the coastal city of Sfax and other launching points, tensions have risen between migrants and the local population.
The National Human Rights Committee in Libya, a local rights group that works with the Libyan authorities, said it believes Tunisian security forces had forcefully expelled the migrants, abandoning them in the desert without water or food.
Ahmed Hamza, head of the committee, told the AP the bodies were discovered by Libya’s border guard on Tuesday.
A spokesperson for Libya’s border force denied recovering any dead bodies near the Tunisian border on Tuesday, but declined to comment further. The AP has been unable to reconcile the conflicting narratives.
At least 35 bodies have been recovered from the Tunisia-Libyan border since the migrant expulsions began in July, Hamza said. According to statistics compiled by the committee he chairs, more than 750 African immigrants have been forcibly expelled from Tunisia into Libya since July.
Black Africans in Tunisia have increasingly faced discrimination and violence since Tunisia’s President Kais Saied said that sub-Saharan migrants are part of a plot to erase the country’s identity during a speech in February.
In a separate incident Wednesday, 41 migrants are believed to have drowned after the boat carrying them capsized off the Tunisian coast.
Libya is a major transit point for Middle Eastern and African migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to seek a better life in Europe. The oil-rich country descended into chaos following a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 that toppled and killed longtime autocrat Moammar Gadhafi.
Human traffickers have profited from Libya’s decade of instability, growing rich through international smuggling networks.
veryGood! (194)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Fidelity will start offering bitcoin as an investment option in 401(k) accounts
- Law Roach Clarifies What Part of the Fashion World He's Retiring From
- UK blocks Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman Shares Details on Her Upcoming Italian Wedding
- The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman Shares Details on Her Upcoming Italian Wedding
- American teaching in Sudan was told he was on his own amid violence, mom says: Sick to my stomach
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Tobacco giant admits to selling products to North Korea, agrees to pay more than $600 million
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Tobacco giant admits to selling products to North Korea, agrees to pay more than $600 million
- Shop the Best Spring Wedding Guest Dresses for Under $50
- Where Have These Photos of Pregnant Rihanna and A$AP Rocky Been All Our Lives
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Twitter aims to crack down on misinformation, including misleading posts about Ukraine
- See Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson's Beautiful One Direction Reunion
- The $16 Korean Pore Mask I've Sworn By Since High School
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
'Love Me Tender' and poison pills: Unpacking the Elon Musk-Twitter saga
She joined DHS to fight disinformation. She says she was halted by... disinformation
How Iran and Saudi Arabia's diplomatic breakthrough could impact the entire Middle East
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Nearly 400 car crashes in 11 months involved automated tech, companies tell regulators
Fidelity will start offering bitcoin as an investment option in 401(k) accounts
Users beware: Apps are using a loophole in privacy law to track kids' phones