Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Jussie Smollett Makes Rare Comments on 2019 Hate Crime Hoax That Landed Him in Jail -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Jussie Smollett Makes Rare Comments on 2019 Hate Crime Hoax That Landed Him in Jail
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 09:39:51
Jussie Smollett is SafeX Proreflecting on the "dark day" that occurred after he reported being a victim of a hate crime—one authorities say never happened.
In 2021, a Chicago jury found the Empire alum guilty of five counts of disorderly conduct for falsely telling police in January 2019 that two masked strangers had attacked him on the street while hurling racist and homophobic slurs. Smollett, who maintains his innocence, was in 2022 sentenced to 150 days in jail and was released after six days following an appeal filed by his lawyer.
The actor had turned himself in to police a month after reporting about the alleged hate crime attack, with authorities accusing him of paying two brothers $3,500 to stage the incident.
"That was a pretty dark day because that's when everything clicked to me of what was happening," Jussie told People about his arrest in comments published Sept. 28. "A lot of things tested my strength, a lot of things tested my mental, but the one thing I never lost—I never started thinking that I am somebody that I'm not."
The 42-year-old said there was "no way" the public could believe "a stupid rumor."
However, he added, "I'm not going to sit here and victimize myself and be like 'Woe is me,' because there's so many people that don't have the platform or the resources that I have to protect themselves."
The actor said he was aware of his own "privilege in this situation."
"That's why there's a certain point where it's just like, I can't hold on to the pain," he continued. "That's why I'm blessed to continue on and make film and make music and do the things that I was put down here by God to do."
Smollett made his comments ahead of the Sept. 27 release of his new film The Lost Holliday, which he stars in and directed and which marks his first acting project since his character was written off Empire at the end of its second-to-last season in 2019 following the controversy.
Smollett, who underwent outpatient rehab for undisclosed reasons in fall of 2023, continued, "I'm very grateful to be alive and currently on a journey to find true peace. The world would've swallowed me whole had not been for my family."
His siblings, including actress Jurnee Smollett, have rallied behind him amid the legal proceedings and expressed their belief that he is innocent.
"I have to move forward," the actor said. "I must."
An appellate court ruled against Smollett's appeal in a 2-1 decision last December and the case now lies in the hands of the Illinois Supreme Court, which heard arguments in Smollett's appeal earlier this month.
His legal team arguing the actor was improperly charged with the same crime twice and that the trial court was also "influenced by improper aggravating factors" when he received his sentence, ABC Chicago reported, citing Capitol News Illinois.
As he awaits the court's decision, Smollett is also looking ahead to taking on a new role beyond the music and acting realm, and it's one of the reasons he's "still in the game."
"I pray to have a child," he told People. "I can't visualize me not being a father, because I know I'd be a damn good father."
He added, "I'm doing all of this stuff is for my kid, for one day them to read this conversation and just be like, 'Oh, he said that he was doing this for us. And he did.'"
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News App
veryGood! (167)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Stock market today: Asia shares gain after Wall St rally as investors pin hopes on China stimulus
- Bear takes dip in backyard Southern California hot tub amid heat wave
- NASA reports unplanned 'communications pause' with historic Voyager 2 probe carrying 'golden record'
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Magnus White, 17-year-old American cyclist, killed while training for upcoming world championships
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, July 30, 2023
- 10 people died at the Astroworld music festival two years ago. What happens now?
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- North Carolina police search for driver who appears to intentionally hit 6 migrant workers
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- You Might've Missed Stormi Webster's Sweet Cameo on Dad Travis Scott's New Album
- Mar-a-Lago worker charged in Trump’s classified documents case to make first court appearance
- West Virginia University President E. Gordon Gee given contract extension
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Crews battle ‘fire whirls’ in California blaze in Mojave Desert
- The Women’s World Cup has produced some big moments. These are some of the highlights & lowlights
- Mass shooting at Muncie, Indiana street party leaves one dead, multiple people wounded, police say
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Magnus White, 17-year-old American cyclist, killed while training for upcoming world championships
Inside the large-scale US-Australia exercise
Wisconsin judge dismisses lawsuit over military voting lists
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Lady Gaga Pens Moving Tribute to Collaborator Tony Bennett After Very Long and Powerful Goodbye
Robert Chambers, NYC’s ‘Preppy Killer,’ is released after 15 years in prison on drug charges
Cycling Star Magnus White Dead at 17 After Being Struck By Car During Bike Ride