Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-Man convicted of hate crimes for attacking Muslim man in New York City -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-Man convicted of hate crimes for attacking Muslim man in New York City
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 11:03:37
A New Jersey resident was convicted of hate crimes after he attacked a Muslim man with a knife near a New York City food cart while saying slurs,Chainkeen Exchange prosecutors announced Thursday.
“A Manhattan jury held Gino Sozio accountable for attacking a Muslim-American man in a vicious act of hate,” said Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. “Instead of walking away from a dispute, Sozio went on an appalling racist and anti-Muslim tirade and took out a knife, seriously injuring the victim who is still in pain to this day. I thank the victim and the eyewitnesses for bravely coming forward and taking the stand, and our talented prosecutors who fought for justice in this case.”
Gino Sozio, 40, of Morganville, New Jersey, swung a knife at a group of Muslims near a halal food cart in Midtown while making Islamophobic comments, prosecutors said, slashing one man in the torso. A New York Supreme Court jury found Sozio guilty of first-degree attempted assault and second-degree assault, both as hate crimes, as well as third-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He will be sentenced on May 3.
The conviction comes as civil rights leaders decry a record-high level of Islamophobic hate incidents in the United States.
Overall, hate crimes reported across 25 American cities increased last year by an average of 17% from 2022, according to a study from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University.
Man said slurs as he slashed victim
The 22-year-old victim had traveled with friends to Midtown from New Jersey and ordered food at a street cart, prosecutors said. At around 2 a.m. on December 31, 2022, as they were waiting for their order, one of the victim's friends told Sozio he may have dropped something. In response, Sozio approached the group and began making xenophobic comments that stated in substance, “This is my country. Go back to your country.”
As Sozio continued to make remarks, one person in the group took out his phone to record the incident, according to prosecutors. Sozio slapped the man’s phone out of his hand, and the man responded by punching him. Sozio then pulled out a knife from his pocket and swung it toward the group, eventually slashing one person’s torso, causing a large wound which required stitches and surgery, the district attorney's office said. Throughout the assault, Sozio continued to pass slurs.
A few minutes later, New York City police officers arrested Sozio and took his knife as he continued to make racial comments and slurs.
“No one should have their life put in danger simply because of their faith,” said Afaf Nasher, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations New York chapter. “We welcome the conviction of the perpetrator of this disturbing crime and urge law enforcement to crack down on the rising tide of anti-Muslim incidents.”
The district attorney's office did not provide the name of the victim.
The conviction comes days after CAIR released a report that showed the civil rights group had received a record-high number of complaints in its 30-year history. CAIR said it documented 8,061 complaints in 2023, nearly half of which were received in the final three months of the year.
veryGood! (37443)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Tesla sued by EEOC for allegedly allowing a racist and hostile work environment
- Here's How a Government Shutdown Could Impact Millions of Americans
- Meet Golden Bachelor Gerry Turner's First Impression Rose Winner
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- First Floods, Now Fires: How Neglect and Fraud Hobbled an Alabama Town
- Wisconsin Senate committee votes against confirmation for four DNR policy board appointees
- Remote work: Is it time to return to the office? : 5 Things podcast
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- StandBy mode turns your iPhone into a customizable display clock with iOS 17
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Overworked and understaffed: Kaiser workers are on the brink of a nationwide strike
- Reese Witherspoon's 'Love in Fairhope' follows Alabama singles in new take on reality TV
- California man who shot two sheriff’s deputies in revenge attack convicted of attempted murder
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Extremist attack kills at least 12 soldiers in Niger as jihadi violence increases post-coup
- The Academy is replacing Hattie McDaniel's Oscar that has been missing for 50 years
- Higher gas prices lift Fed’s preferred inflation gauge but underlying price pressures remain mild
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Louisiana citrus farmers are seeing a mass influx of salt water that could threaten seedlings
Hong Kong and Macao police arrest 4 more people linked to JPEX cryptocurrency platform
How Wynonna Judd Is Turning My Pain Into Purpose After Mom Naomi Judd's Death
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Orioles announce new 30-year deal to stay at Camden Yards
Sweden says the military will help the police with some duties as gang violence escalates
Nina Dobrev and Shaun White Love Hard During Red Carpet Date Night