Current:Home > MyEthermac|Lawsuit filed challenging Arkansas school voucher program created by 2023 law -Capitatum
Ethermac|Lawsuit filed challenging Arkansas school voucher program created by 2023 law
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 09:03:42
LITTLE ROCK,Ethermac Ark. (AP) — Four Arkansas residents have filed a lawsuit challenging a school voucher program created by an education overhaul signed by Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders last year, saying it violates the state constitution’s protections for educational funding.
The suit filed in state court late Friday seeks to halt the Arkansas Children’s Freedom Account Program, which was created under the new law, known as the LEARNS Act. The voucher program, which is being phased in, pays for private- and home-schooling costs equal to 90% of the state’s per-student funding for public schools.
Arkansas lawmakers set aside $97 million in funding for the program for the upcoming year, with up to 14,000 students expected to participate. The lawsuit claims the program violates Arkansas’ constitution by diverting tax money intended to help public schools.
“The LEARNS Act represents a radical and unconstitutional departure from a public school system that has endured since the establishment of the state of Arkansas,” the lawsuit said.
It added that the act would drain “valuable and necessary” resources from the public school system and “create a separate and unequal dual school system that discriminates between children based on economic, racial and physical characteristics and capabilities.”
The voucher program was part of a massive education bill that also included increases in minimum teacher salaries and restrictions on how certain topics, such as gender identity, are taught in the classroom.
A spokesperson for Sanders did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.
The Arkansas Supreme Court in October rejected a challenge to the LEARNS Act that questioned the Legislature’s procedural vote that allowed it to take effect immediately.
“We look forward to successfully defending the LEARNS Act in court as we have done before,” Attorney General Tim Griffin said in a statement.
veryGood! (75498)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- A search for a biological father, and the surprise of a lifetime
- How Jennifer Lopez Honored Hero Ben Affleck on Father's Day 2024 Amid Breakup Rumors
- Q&A: The U.N.’s New Special Rapporteur for Human Rights and Environment Previously Won a Landmark Case in Peru
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- The Daily Money: A Chick-fil-A child labor camp?!
- George Strait breaks record for largest ticketed concert in US with nearly 111K in attendance
- Army lieutenant colonel says Lewiston shooter had ‘low threat’ profile upon leaving hospital
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- ‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 1 recap: Unpacking that ‘indefensible’ murder
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Angelina Jolie and Daughter Vivienne Shut Down the Red Carpet at the 2024 Tony Awards
- Justin Timberlake Celebrates Father's Day With Rare Photos of His and Jessica Biel's Sons
- Tony Awards 2024: The complete list of winners (so far)
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Justin Timberlake Celebrates Father's Day With Rare Photos of His and Jessica Biel's Sons
- New Research Finds Most of the World’s Largest Marine Protected Areas Have Inadequate Protections
- Army lieutenant colonel says Lewiston shooter had ‘low threat’ profile upon leaving hospital
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
2 dead, 14 wounded after shooting at Juneteenth celebration in Texas
Indiana GOP chair to step down following tumultuous party convention
Pet owners face dilemma after Nationwide drops 100,000 insurance policies
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Remains in former home of man convicted of killing wife identified as those of missing ex-girlfriend
Full transcript of Face the Nation, June 16, 2024
Three Colorado women murdered and the search for a serial killer named Hannibal