Current:Home > ScamsChris Kaba shooting case drives London police to consider army backup as officers hand in gun licenses -Capitatum
Chris Kaba shooting case drives London police to consider army backup as officers hand in gun licenses
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 10:26:35
London - Britain's Ministry of Defense agreed to provide soldiers to support London's Metropolitan Police after more than 100 armed officers refused to go out on armed patrols over the weekend, CBS News partner network BBC News reported. The Met, as the London force is commonly known, said the officers were responding to the authorization of a murder charge against a colleague in the shooting of Chris Kaba, an unarmed 24-year-old Black man, last September. Later on Monday, the Met announced that it had enough armed officers who were willing to work, "to no longer require external assistance."
"There is a concern on the part of firearms officers that even if they stick to the tactics and training they have been given, they will face years of protracted legal proceedings which impact on their personal wellbeing and that of their family," London Metropolitan Police Commissioner Mark Rowley said in an open letter on Sunday. "Officers need sufficient legal protection to enable them to do their job and keep the public safe, and the confidence that it will be applied consistently and without fear or favour."
Kaba was driving last year when he was shot in the head and killed by police who stopped him because there was an alert out on the car he was in. His death sparked widespread protests and calls for an investigation.
Late last week, prosecutors said they had authorized a murder charge against the firearms officer who shot Kaba, who has been identified publicly only as NX121.
Before the prosecutors cleared the way for the officer to face the murder charge, only five armed police officers from the force had handed back their weapons permits, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported.
"Many are worried about how the decision impacts on them, on their colleagues and on their families," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. "They are concerned that it signals a shift in the way the decisions they take in the most challenging circumstances will be judged. A number of officers have taken the decision to step back from armed duties while they consider their position."
According to government data, between March 2022 and 2023 there were 18,395 police firearms operations in England and Wales. In that time, there were 10 incidents where police intentionally discharged their weapons at people.
U.K. Home Secretary Suella Braverman, who is in charge of policing in the country, said the government was launching a review "to ensure [armed police] have the confidence to do their jobs while protecting us all."
"They mustn't fear ending up in the dock for carrying out their duties," she said.
Haley OttHaley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (4542)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Hugh Carter Jr., the cousin who helped organize Jimmy Carter’s ‘Peanut Brigade,’ has died
- Saquon Barkley agrees to one-year contract with Giants, ending standoff with team
- Anyone who used Facebook in the last 16 years can now get settlement money. Here's how.
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- DeSantis is in a car accident on his way to Tennessee presidential campaign events but isn’t injured
- Golden Globes 2023: The complete list of winners
- Sister of Carlee Russell's Ex-Boyfriend Weighs In on Stupid as Hell Kidnapping Hoax
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Three found dead at campsite were members of Colorado Springs family who planned to live ‘off grid’
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Whitney Houston's voice is the best part of 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody'
- Former pastor, 83, charged with murder in 1975 death of 8-year-old girl
- TikTok adds new text post feature to app. Here's where to find it.
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Judge in Parkland school shooting trial reprimanded for showing bias against shooter's defense team
- Gilgo Beach murders: Police finish search at suspect's Long Island home
- DeSantis uninjured in car accident in Tennessee, campaign says
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Defense wants Pittsburgh synagogue shooter’s long-dead father exhumed to prove paternity
Investigators pore over evidence from the home of alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer as search ends
Aaron Hernandez's brother Dennis arrested for allegedly planning shootings at UConn, Brown
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
How Anitta, the 'Girl from Rio,' went global
Saquon Barkley, Giants settle on 1-year deal worth up to $11 million, AP source says
In 'Nanny,' an undervalued caretaker must contend with spirits and rage