Current:Home > MarketsNew Orleans plans to spiff up as host of next year’s Super Bowl -Capitatum
New Orleans plans to spiff up as host of next year’s Super Bowl
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 05:01:42
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans hosts its 11th Super Bowl next year and the preparations involve showcasing the city’s heralded architecture, music, food and celebratory culture while addressing its myriad challenges, including crime, pockets of homelessness and an antiquated drainage system.
Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry joined Mayor LaToya Cantrell and a host of other city and state officials on Tuesday at a downtown theater for a news conference to discuss the process, kicking off what the Democratic mayor declared “the Summer of Super Bowl.” Landry, a Republican elected last year with a strong anti-crime message, vowed that the city will be one of the nation’s safest by game day.
Road and drainage improvements and the use of state police to help the New Orleans Police Department combat crime are among the efforts.
As for infrastructure, Michael Hecht, the president of a local economic development nonprofit, was recently tapped to coordinate the preparations. He listed scores of projects planned or under way, including street and sidewalk repairs, lighting improvements and repairs to the aging system of stormwater street drains and pumps that are under constant strain to prevent flash floods.
He also noted efforts by the city and local advocates to close down and clean up homeless encampments and provide safter housing for those in need.
Only Miami has hosted more Super Bowls than New Orleans — the two cities will be tied at 11 each once the 59th game is played in February. But it’s been almost 12 years since New Orleans hosted and local officials are eager to show the city off again.
Lt. Gov. Billy Nungesser noted international media would fill much of the city’s huge convention center on the Mississippi River in the week before the game. “We want to make sure we pump some of that great Louisiana food into the convention center and treat them like nowhere else,” he said.
Landry and members of his cabinet highlighted the opportunity the game will give the state to show off its vital role as a Mississippi River port and to boost economic development efforts.
There was also an opportunity to address a moment that marred the big game the last time it was hosted in the Superdome.
Less than two minutes into the third quarter of the 2013 Super Bowl, a partial blackout within the dome delayed the game between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers for 34 minutes.
Marcus Brown, an executive vice president at Entergy, the company that supplies power to the dome, delivered assurances that that won’t happen again.
“We’ve had multiple significant events in the dome to prove and establish that we have the equipment and the redundancies in place to make sure the dome puts this game on without a hitch,” Brown said.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- At least 11 Minneapolis officers disciplined amid unrest after George Floyd’s murder, reports show
- Beyoncé stuns in country chic on part II of W Magazine's first-ever digital cover
- St. Louis-area residents make plea for compensation for illnesses tied to nuclear contamination
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Everything to know about 2024 women's basketball NCAA Tournament championship game
- Can animals really predict earthquakes? Evidence is shaky, scientists say
- Man found guilty but mentally ill in Indiana officer’s killing gets time served in officer’s death
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Boeing’s CEO got compensation worth nearly $33 million last year but lost a $3 million bonus
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- At least 11 Minneapolis officers disciplined amid unrest after George Floyd’s murder, reports show
- Latest sign Tiger Woods is planning to play the Masters. He's on the interview schedule
- 'Game of Thrones' star Joseph Gatt files $40M lawsuit against Los Angeles officials for arrest
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- New York inmates who claimed lockdown was religious violation will be able to see eclipse
- Christian Combs, Diddy's son, accused of sexual assault in new lawsuit: Reports
- RFK Jr. campaign disavows its email calling Jan. 6 defendants activists
Recommendation
Small twin
East Coast earthquakes aren’t common, but they are felt by millions. Here’s what to know
NC State's D.J. Burns has Purdue star Zach Edey's full attention and respect
Taylor Swift releases five playlists framed around the stages of grief ahead of new album
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Federal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens
Christine Quinn's Husband Christian Dumontet Files for Divorce Following His Arrests
Caitlin Clark got people's attention. There's plenty of talent in the game to make them stay