Current:Home > FinanceEx-NFL quarterback Favre must finish repaying misspent welfare money, Mississippi auditor says -Capitatum
Ex-NFL quarterback Favre must finish repaying misspent welfare money, Mississippi auditor says
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-05 21:51:16
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi’s state auditor filed court papers Monday renewing his call for Brett Favre to repay the state for welfare money that the auditor says was improperly spent on projects backed by the retired NFL quarterback.
Auditor Shad White’s demand of nearly $730,000 from Favre is the latest twist in a long-running legal battle over money that was supposed to help some of the poorest people in one of the poorest states in the nation.
Favre, a Pro Football Hall of Fame member who lives in Mississippi, filed lawsuits in February 2023 accusing White and two national sportscasters of defaming him in public discussions about welfare misspending.
White said in 2020 that Favre had improperly received $1.1 million in speaking fees from a nonprofit organization that spent welfare with approval from the Mississippi Department of Human Services. The money from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program was to go toward a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi. Favre agreed to lead fundraising efforts for the facility at his alma mater, where his daughter started playing on the volleyball team in 2017.
“Favre had no legal right to the possession or control of this $1.1 Million,” White’s attorneys wrote in the court filing Monday.
Favre repaid $500,000 to the state in May 2020 and $600,000 in October 2021, but the new court filing said he still owes $729,790 because interest caused growth in the original amount he owed.
“It boggles the mind that Mr. Favre could imagine he is entitled to the equivalent of an interest-free loan of $1.1 million in taxpayer money, especially money intended for the benefit of the poor,” White said in a statement Monday.
The Associated Press left voicemail messages for two of Favre’s attorneys Monday, and they did not immediately respond.
In October, a federal judge dismissed Favre’s defamation lawsuit against Shannon Sharpe, a former NFL player who’s now a broadcaster. In May, Favre ended his lawsuit against sportscaster Pat McAfee, who is a former NFL punter, after McAfee apologized for on-air statements that Favre had been “stealing from poor people in Mississippi.”
Favre’s defamation lawsuit against White is still pending, and White’s filing Monday was a counterclaim in that suit.
Mississippi prosecutors have said millions of federal welfare dollars for low-income residents were squandered on projects supported by wealthy or well-connected people from 2016 to 2019.
A lawsuit filed by the Department of Human Services in 2022 said TANF money was improperly spent, including on projects Favre supported: $5 million for the volleyball arena and $1.7 million toward development of a concussion treatment drug.
No criminal charges have been brought against Favre, although a former department director and other people have pleaded guilty to their part in the misspending.
veryGood! (613)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- RFK Jr. says he suffered from a parasitic brain worm and mercury poisoning
- Missouri’s GOP Gov. Mike Parson signs law expanding voucher-like K-12 scholarships
- Social Security COLA prediction 2025: 3 things to know right now
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Indiana GOP governor nominee Mike Braun announces his choice for lieutenant governor
- Get 50% Off Adidas, 80% Off Peter Thomas Roth, 60% Off Pottery Barn & 97 More Deals
- The Rev. Al Sharpton to give eulogy for Ohio man who died last month while in police custody
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Hyundai's finance unit illegally seized service members' vehicles, feds allege
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- Siblings, age 2 and 4, die after being swept away in fast water in California river
- Review: The simians sizzle, but story fizzles in new 'Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes'
- Homeless woman was living inside Michigan rooftop store sign with computer and coffee maker
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- North West joins cast of Disney's 'The Lion King' live concert
- Skeletons missing hands and feet found at Hitler's former headquarters in Poland — but cause of death remains a mystery
- Lawyers’ coalition provides new messengers for Black voter engagement
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
After playing in MLB, 28-year-old Monte Harrison to play college football for Arkansas
Wendy's unveils new menu item Nuggs Party Pack, free chicken nuggets every Wednesday
Heineken pledges nearly $50 million investment for transforming tired pubs in U.K. into eco-friendly faces of resilience
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Kelly Osbourne Looks Unrecognizable After Blonde Hair Transformation
Drake's security guard injured in shooting outside rapper's Toronto home, police say
U.K. Supreme Court makes ruling over $43 million in treasure from World War II ship sunk by Japanese torpedoes