Current:Home > ContactSupreme Court rejects Josh Duggar's child pornography appeal -Capitatum
Supreme Court rejects Josh Duggar's child pornography appeal
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 14:32:26
The Supreme Court has closed the book on Josh Duggar's child pornography case.
On Monday, the United States' highest court denied the disgraced reality TV star's appeal to his May 2022 sentencing, according to docket records viewed by USA TODAY.
Duggar, who originally rose to fame on the TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting," was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service in April 2021 and was later found guilty on one count each of receiving and possessing child pornography.
USA TODAY has reached out to attorneys for Duggar and the Department of Justice.
At his sentencing, Duggar received 12 1/2 years behind bars, a $10,000 fine and orders to attend a mandatory "sex offense-specific treatment program."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Josh Duggar's attorneys argued someone else could have downloaded child pornography to his business
Authorities said they began investigating Duggar after a Little Rock, Arkansas, police detective found child porn files shared by a computer traced to Duggar. A federal agent testified in 2021 that images depicting the sexual abuse of children, including toddlers, were downloaded in 2019 onto a computer at a car dealership Duggar owned.
Despite the evidence and conviction, Duggar's lawyer has maintained his innocence, saying the images could have been downloaded by someone else at the dealership. He said at the time of sentencing that he "looked forward" to the appeal.
Josh Duggar denied appeal,will stay in prison on child pornography charges until 2032
The Supreme Court said in an opposition document filed on May 21 that "there is no dispute that child pornography was downloaded to the computer at petitioner's business."
Furthermore they argued that the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit was within their right to reject testimony from a former employee of Duggar because there was "no evidence" that placed the employee "at the car lot on any of the relevant dates."
The lower court of appeals denied Duggar's plea for another trial in October.
He will have to continue serving out his sentence until it's complete on Oct. 2, 2032. (Duggar previously was scheduled for release in August of 2032 but his sentence was extended thanks to a contraband cellphone.)
Josh Duggar's problematic history
The oldest child of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, Josh appeared on the show "19 Kids and Counting" chronicling their massive, hyper religious family until 2015 when it was cancelled following revelations that Josh had molested four of his sisters and a babysitter when he was a young teen.
He was later caught on Ashley Madison, a dating website advertised as a place for married people looking for an affair to find partners. He made a public apology at the time for cheating on his wife and admitted to a pornography addiction.
TLC spun off another series "Counting On" following the now-adult Duggar children and their budding young families, but that show was also canceled in June 2021 following Josh's arrest.
Contributing: Mary Walrath-Holdridge
veryGood! (371)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 24 Bikinis for Big Boobs That Are Actually Supportive and Stylish for Cup Sizes From D Through M
- Russia increasing unprofessional activity against U.S. forces in Syria
- Titanic Submersible Disappearance: Debris Found in Search Area
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Q&A: Sustainable Farming Expert Weighs in on California’s Historic Investments in ‘Climate Smart’ Agriculture
- An energy crunch forces a Hungarian ballet company to move to a car factory
- CNN's Don Lemon apologizes for sexist remarks about Nikki Haley
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Gabby Douglas, 3-time Olympic gold medalist, announces gymnastics comeback: Let's do this
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- The Climate Solution Actually Adding Millions of Tons of CO2 Into the Atmosphere
- Gabby Douglas, 3-time Olympic gold medalist, announces gymnastics comeback: Let's do this
- Unwinding the wage-price spiral
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Checking back in with Maine's oldest lobsterwoman as she embarks on her 95th season
- A Tesla driver was killed after smashing into a firetruck on a California highway
- 20,000 roses, inflation and night terrors: the life of a florist on Valentine's Day
Recommendation
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Missed the northern lights last night? Here are pictures of the spectacular aurora borealis showings
The debt ceiling, extraordinary measures, and the X Date. Why it all matters.
24 Bikinis for Big Boobs That Are Actually Supportive and Stylish for Cup Sizes From D Through M
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
An Offshore Wind Farm on Lake Erie Moves Closer to Reality, but Will It Ever Be Built?
Ariana Grande Kicks Off 30th Birthday Celebrations Early With This Wickedly Festive POV
Governor Roy Cooper Led North Carolina to Act on Climate Change. Will That Help Him Win a 2nd Term?