Current:Home > MyFlowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school -Capitatum
Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:18:31
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Hundreds of people laid flowers and lit candles on Friday to commemorate the victims of Serbia’s first-ever school shooting a year ago that left nine children and a school guard dead and six people wounded.
A somber, silent queue formed on a rainy day outside the Vladislav Ribnikar Elementary School in central Belgrade where a 13-year-old boy is accused of opening fire at his schoolmates with his father’s guns last year.
The shooting stunned Serbia. The Balkan nation was no stranger to violent crime, but mass shootings are rare, and none had taken place at a school before.
Just a day later, a shooting rampage outside the capital further shocked the country. A 20-year-old man was accused of killing nine and wounding 12 others, mostly young people.
Friday’s vigil formally started at 8:41 a.m., the time of the school shooting last year. Serbian television stations interrupted their broadcasts, showing the text “We remember” on a black screen.
The all-day event near the school also included art installations, a panel discussion and short films about the victims. The street where the school is located is closed to traffic.
The event was titled “Awakening,” a call for introspection in a nation that is yet to come to terms with its role in multiple wars in the 1990s and the culture of violence that has prevailed ever since.
Ninela Radicevic, a mother of a victim, told The Associated Press ahead of the anniversary that society and the government had “rushed to forget” the tragedy. Radicevic, who lost her 11-year-old daughter Ana Bozovic in the shooting, said she hoped Serbia can prevent such a horrific crime from happening again.
“We have missed many chances to react better... (but) I think it is never too late to pause ... and to try not to make the same mistakes in the future,” said psychology professor Aleksandar Baucal, who is part of a team behind the commemoration.
The slain children’s parents have fought to have the school closed and turned into a memorial center. They’ve organized protests, remembrance events and testified about their ordeal to promote awareness among the public.
Serbia’s populist government launched a gun crackdown after the shooting, collecting about 80,000 weapons and rounds of ammunition. State-backed support teams offered counseling and police officers were deployed outside schools for security.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said on Instagram after paying respects Friday that the “unthinkable tragedy has left a permanent scar on the soul of our entire nation.”
Suspects in both of the shootings were apprehended. The alleged school shooter’s parents went on trial in January, charged with teaching their underage son to shoot and with not securing the weapons at the family home. The trial is continuing. The boy has been held in an institution since the attack.
The trial of the other suspect and his father is to start later this month in the central town of Smederevo.
Shock and anger because of the shootings triggered months of street protests demanding the resignations of top officials and a ban on media that spew hate speech and intolerance.
veryGood! (626)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Why K-pop's future is in crisis, according to its chief guardian
- Scholastic wanted to license her children's book — if she cut a part about 'racism'
- YouTuber Adam McIntyre Reacts to Evil Colleen Ballinger's Video Addressing Miranda Sings Allegations
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Two mysterious bond market indicators
- Researchers Say Science Skewed by Racism is Increasing the Threat of Global Warming to People of Color
- YouTuber Adam McIntyre Reacts to Evil Colleen Ballinger's Video Addressing Miranda Sings Allegations
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Climate Change Poses a Huge Threat to Railroads. Environmental Engineers Have Ideas for How to Combat That
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Euphora Star Sydney Sweeney Says This Moisturizer “Is Like Putting a Cloud on Your Face”
- Bill Gates on next-generation nuclear power technology
- Researchers Say Science Skewed by Racism is Increasing the Threat of Global Warming to People of Color
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Madonna Released From Hospital After Battle With Bacterial Infection
- YouTuber Adam McIntyre Reacts to Evil Colleen Ballinger's Video Addressing Miranda Sings Allegations
- Chicago Mayor Slow to Act on Promises to Build Green Economy by Repurposing Polluted Industrial Sites
Recommendation
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Biden Tightens Auto Emissions Standards, Reversing Trump, and Aims for a Quantum Leap on Electric Vehicles by 2030
Some Jews keep a place empty at Seder tables for a jailed journalist in Russia
Possible Vanderpump Rules Spin-Off Show Is Coming
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Kelsea Ballerini Struck in the Face By Object While Performing Onstage in Idaho
Two mysterious bond market indicators
Inside Clean Energy: In a Week of Sobering Climate News, Let’s Talk About Batteries