Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Former US Rep. Mark Walker drops North Carolina gubernatorial bid to run for Congress -Capitatum
Fastexy:Former US Rep. Mark Walker drops North Carolina gubernatorial bid to run for Congress
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:13:24
RALEIGH,Fastexy N.C. (AP) — Just after the North Carolina General Assembly gave final approval Wednesday to a new congressional map favoring Republicans, a former congressman announced he is dropping out of the Republican primary for governor to try to win back his seat in the U.S. House.
Ex-U.S. Rep. Mark Walker, a former Baptist pastor from Greensboro, launched a bid Wednesday to reclaim the district he had represented on Capitol Hill for six years. He held the seat until a previous redistricting cycle opened the door for Democratic Rep. Kathy Manning to take office.
“I didn’t really leave voluntarily,” Walker said in an interview with The Associated Press. “Now that the General Assembly has restored the 6th District to how it’s historically been represented, which is conservative Republican, it felt like this was the right time to reengage with everything going on in the country.”
The Republican-led General Assembly approved a plan Wednesday for North Carolina’s 14 U.S. House seats, creating 10 districts that appear to favor Republicans, three that favor Democrats and one that could be considered competitive, according to statewide election data. Each party currently holds seven of the state’s congressional seats.
The state Supreme Court flipped from a Democratic to a Republican majority in the 2022 elections, and the panel ruled in April that the state constitution placed no limits on shifting district lines for partisan gain. The ruling gave state lawmakers the freedom to fashion new boundaries that could help the GOP pick up at least three seats in the U.S. House next year.
Walker served three terms in Congress from 2015 to 2021. He ran unsuccessfully in the state’s 2022 U.S. Senate primary. In May, he entered a crowded field for the GOP gubernatorial nomination, joining Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson and State Treasurer Dale Folwell.
Walker now plans to challenge Manning, a second-term congresswoman, who said in a statement last week that the newly Republican-leaning 6th Congressional District takes away her constituents’ rights to fair representation by lumping together several vastly different counties.
Walker said he no longer saw “a clear path forward” to win the gubernatorial nomination and determined that dropping out would give Republicans a better shot of winning the office, which has been held by Democrats for much of the past three decades.
State Attorney General Josh Stein and former state Supreme Court Associate Justice Mike Morgan are competing for the Democratic nomination for governor.
Republican supermajorities in the General Assembly passed legislation this year limiting the governor’s power to appoint people to key boards and commissions, which Walker said was a deterrent to continuing his gubernatorial campaign.
“With the supermajorities in the statehouse, it really put parameters on what a governor can actually lead or execute in that branch of government,” he said. “We just came to the conclusion that if we were going to maximize our service, we felt like this was the best path to move forward.”
___
Hannah Schoenbaum is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- A St. Louis driver has been found guilty in a crash that severed a teen athlete’s legs
- What lawmakers wore to the State of the Union spoke volumes
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 vanished 10 years ago today. What have we learned about what happened?
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Wolfgang Van Halen slams ex-bandmate David Lee Roth's nepotism comments
- NHL trade grades: Champion Golden Knights ace deadline. Who else impressed? Who didn't?
- Deal Alert: Get 25% Off Celeb-Loved Kiehl’s Skincare Products in Their Exclusive Friends & Family Sale
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Program that allows 30,000 migrants from 4 countries into the US each month upheld by judge
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Peek inside the gift bags for Oscar nominees in 2024, valued at $178,000
- Eugene Levy reunites with 'second son' Jason Biggs of 'American Pie' at Hollywood ceremony
- ‘Oh my God feeling.’ Trooper testifies about shooting man with knife, worrying about other officers
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Horoscopes Today, March 8, 2024
- 'Normalize the discussion around periods': Jessica Biel announces upcoming children's book
- Killing of Laken Riley is now front and center of US immigration debate and 2024 presidential race
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Program that allows 30,000 migrants from 4 countries into the US each month upheld by judge
Patrick Mahomes sent a congratulatory text. That's the power of Xavier Worthy's combine run
Doritos cuts ties with Samantha Hudson, a trans Spanish influencer, after disturbing posts surface
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Labor market tops expectations again: 275,000 jobs added in February
New York Attorney General Letitia James sued over action against trans sports ban
Apple reverses course and clears way for Epic Games to set up rival iPhone app store in Europe