Current:Home > ContactPolice say the gunman killed in Munich had fired at the Israeli Consulate -Capitatum
Police say the gunman killed in Munich had fired at the Israeli Consulate
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 19:38:14
BERLIN (AP) — The gunman killed by police in Munich fired shots at the Israeli Consulate and at a museum on the city’s Nazi-era history before the fatal shootout with officers, authorities said Friday. An official in neighboring Austria, his home country, said the man bought his gun from a weapons collector the day before the attack.
The suspect, an apparently radicalized 18-year-old Austrian with Bosnian roots who was carrying a decades-old Swiss military gun with a bayonet attached, died at the scene after the shootout on Thursday morning. German prosecutors and police said Thursday they believed he was planning to attack the consulate on the anniversary of the attack on the Israeli delegation at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
On Friday, police gave more details of the man’s movements before he was shot dead. They said he fired two shots at the front of the museum, and made his way into two nearby buildings, shooting at the window of one of them. He also tried and failed to climb over the fence of the consulate, then fired two shots at the building itself, which hit a pane of glass. He then ran into police officers, opening fire at them after they had told him to put his weapon down.
Prosecutor Gabriele Tilmann said investigators’ “working hypothesis” is that the assailant “acted out of Islamist or antisemitic motivation,” though they haven’t yet found any message from him that would help pinpoint the motive. While authorities have determined that he was a lone attacker, they are still working to determine whether he was involved with any network.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said the man’s home was searched on Thursday. Investigators seized unspecified “data carriers,” but found no weapons or Islamic State group propaganda, he told reporters in Vienna.
They also questioned the weapons collector who sold the assailant the firearm on Wednesday. Ruf said the assailant paid 400 euros ($444) for the gun and bayonet, and also bought about 50 rounds of ammunition.
The man’s parents reported him missing to Austrian police at 10 a.m. Thursday — about an hour after the shooting in Munich — after he failed to show up to the workplace where he had started a new job on Monday.
Austrian police say the assailant came to authorities’ attention in February 2023 and that, following a “dangerous threat” against fellow students coupled with bodily harm, he also was accused of involvement in a terror organization.
There was a suspicion that he had become religiously radicalized, was active online in that context and was interested in explosives and weapons, according to a police statement Thursday, but prosecutors closed an investigation in April 2023. Ruf said he had used the flag of an Islamic extremist organization in his role in online games, “and in this connection one can of course recognize a degree of radicalization.”
Authorities last year issued a ban on him owning weapons until at least the beginning of 2028, but police say he had not come to their attention since.
veryGood! (2211)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Sharna Burgess Was “Hurt” by Julianne Hough’s Comments on Her DWTS Win
- Seattle Kraken's Jessica Campbell makes history as first female NHL assistant coach
- See who tops MLS 22 Under 22 list. Hint: 5 Inter Miami players make cut
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Boeing withdraws contract offer after talks with striking workers break down
- Jason Kelce Playfully Teases Travis Kelce Over Taylor Swift’s Return to NFL Game
- Patriots' Jabrill Peppers put on NFL's commissioner exempt list after charges
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Fact-Checking the Viral Conspiracies in the Wake of Hurricane Helene
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Ed Wheeler, Law & Order Actor, Dead at 88
- Climate change boosted Helene’s deadly rain and wind and scientists say same is likely for Milton
- 4 people, dog rescued after small plane crashes into Gulf in Hurricane Milton evacuation
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Hoda Kotb Shares Update on 5-Year-Old Daughter Hope One Year After Health Scare
- This California ballot measure promises money for health care. Its critics warn it could backfire
- American Water cyberattack renews focus on protecting critical infrastructure
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Jury selection begins in corruption trial of longest-serving legislative leader in US history
Dylan Guenther scores first goal in Utah Hockey Club history
Tropicana implosion in Las Vegas: After 67 years, Rat Pack-era Strip resort falls
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Why Love Is Blind's Tyler Has No Regrets About Ashley Conversations
Mila Kunis Shares Secret to Relationship With Husband Ashton Kutcher
5 must-know tips for getting a text, call through after a big storm: video tutorial