Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Conan O’Brien will be a guest on ‘The Tonight Show,’ 14 years after his acrimonious exit -Capitatum
Algosensey|Conan O’Brien will be a guest on ‘The Tonight Show,’ 14 years after his acrimonious exit
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:23:44
Does time — and Algosenseya new host — heal all wounds? Fourteen years after Conan O’Brien was messily ousted from NBC’s “The Tonight Show” to make way for the return of Jay Leno — the comedian is finally back.
O’Brien will appear on the April 9 show to promote his new travel series “Conan O’Brien Must Go” for Max in conversation with Jimmy Fallon, who took over from Leno in 2014.
After more than 15 years of hosting “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” on NBC, O’Brien was promoted to lead the network’s flagship late-night show in 2009, after it was announced Leno would be given a new prime-time show, also on NBC.
After seven months of slipping “Tonight Show” ratings and and pressure from affiliates who said “The Jay Leno Show” wasn’t a strong enough lead-in to their nightly newscasts, NBC made a plan to shorten Leno’s show to a half-hour and give it a 11:35 p.m. timeslot, which would have bumped “The Tonight Show” to 12:05 a.m.
“It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule,” O’Brien said at the time in a statement.
He refused to accept the move, and the public spat ended with O’Brien and his staff receiving a multimillion-dollar payout to exit NBC in early 2010.
“And I just want to say to the kids out there watching: You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too,” O’Brien said in a monologue before his departure, calling “The Tonight Show” the fulfillment of a lifelong dream.
O’Brien didn’t stay off the airwaves for too long, returning to late-night in November 2010 on basic-cable network TBS. “Conan” would run for nearly 11 years. (The first episode beat Leno’s “Tonight Show” in the ratings.)
In 2012, O’Brien told The Hollywood Reporter that while he still had latent resentment, he acknowledged a onetime “amazing partnership with NBC.”
“There are moments of, ‘What the hell happened? Why did that person do that or say that?’ But there’s also lot of, ‘OK, let’s file this under There’s A Lot I Can’t Control,’” he told the trade publication, adding that he and Leno no longer spoke to one another.
O’Brien’s return to “The Tonight Show” — which moved from Southern California to New York when Fallon took the helm — isn’t the first time Fallon has used his show to extend an olive branch. On his first night as host, Joan Rivers made a brief appearance in a bit where celebrities paid up after betting money Fallon would never be host. Rivers had been infamously banned from the show when Johnny Carson was the host after she got her own late-night show on Fox. (After his acrimonious departure from NBC, O’Brien himself visited “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” in a surprise appearance.)
As for O’Brien, he now hosts the podcast “Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend.” In his new travel show, O’Brien visits countries like Ireland, Thailand, Argentina and Norway.
The overall vibe among late-night talk show hosts has also evolved from the days of intense competition between Leno and CBS’ David Letterman to congeniality — and even friendship. Last summer, Fallon, Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, John Oliver and Jimmy Kimmel teamed up for a podcast called “Strike Force Five” to support their staff during the writers strike.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- A man convicted of killing 4 people in a small Nebraska town faces the death penalty
- Mark your calendars: 3 Social Security COLA dates to know for 2025
- West Virginia’s new drug czar was once addicted to opioids himself
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Tropical Weather Latest: Hurricane Helene is upgraded to Category 2 as it heads toward Florida
- Revisiting 2024 PCCAs Host Shania Twain’s Evolution That Will Impress You Very Much
- 'Megalopolis' review: Francis Ford Coppola's latest is too weird for words
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Caitlin Clark's spectacular run comes to a close. Now, she'll take time to reflect
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Julie Chrisley's 7-year prison sentence upheld as she loses bid for reduced time
- Tommy Kramer, former Minnesota Vikings Pro Bowl QB, announces dementia diagnosis
- Utah Supreme Court to decide viability of a ballot question deemed ‘counterfactual’ by lower court
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Appeals court sends back part of Dakota Access oil pipeline protester’s excessive force lawsuit
- Naomi Campbell banned from charity role for 5 years after financial investigation
- Adam Brody Shares His Surprising Take on an O.C. Revival
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Halloween superfans see the culture catching up to them. (A 12-foot skeleton helped)
Court throws out manslaughter charge against clerk in Detroit gas station shooting
UFC reaches $375 million settlement on one class-action lawsuit, another one remains pending
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Digging Deep to Understand Rural Opposition to Solar Power
Man charged with killing 13-year-old Detroit girl whose body remains missing
Shohei Ohtani 50/50 home run ball headed to auction. How much will it be sold for?