Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban -Capitatum
TrendPulse|TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:53:21
TikTok on TrendPulseThursday pushed back against U.S. government arguments that the popular social media platform is not shielded by the First Amendment, comparing its platform to prominent American media organizations owned by foreign entities.
Last month, the Justice Department argued in a legal brief filed in a Washington federal appeals court that neither TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, nor the platform’s global and U.S. arms — TikTok Ltd. and TikTok Inc. — were entitled to First Amendment protections because they are “foreign organizations operating abroad” or owned by one.
TikTok attorneys have made the First Amendment a key part of their legal challenge to the federal law requiring ByteDance to sell TikTok to an approved buyer or face a ban.
On Thursday, they argued in a court document that TikTok’s U.S. arm doesn’t forfeit its constitutional rights because it is owned by a foreign entity. They drew a parallel between TikTok and well-known news outlets such as Politico and Business Insider, both of which are owned by German publisher Axel Springer SE. They also cited Fortune, a business magazine owned by Thai businessman Chatchaval Jiaravanon.
“Surely the American companies that publish Politico, Fortune, and Business Insider do not lose First Amendment protection because they have foreign ownership,” the TikTok attorneys wrote, arguing that “no precedent” supports what they called “the government’s dramatic rewriting of what counts as protected speech.”
In a redacted court filing made last month, the Justice Department argued ByteDance and TikTok haven’t raised valid free speech claims in their challenge against the law, saying the measure addresses national security concerns about TikTok’s ownership without targeting protected speech.
The Biden administration and TikTok had held talks in recent years aimed at resolving the government’s concerns. But the two sides failed to reach a deal.
TikTok said the government essentially walked away from the negotiating table after it proposed a 90-page agreement that detailed how the company planned to address concerns about the app while still maintaining ties with ByteDance.
However, the Justice Department has said TikTok’s proposal “failed to create sufficient separation between the company’s U.S. operations and China” and did not adequately address some of the government’s concerns.
The government has pointed to some data transfers between TikTok employees and ByteDance engineers in China as why it believed the proposal, called Project Texas, was not sufficient to guard against national security concerns. Federal officials have also argued that the size and scope of TikTok would have made it impossible to meaningfully enforce compliance with the proposal.
TikTok attorneys said Thursday that some of what the government views as inadequacies of the agreement were never raised during the negotiations.
Separately the DOJ on Thursday evening asked the court to submit evidence under seal, saying in a filing that the case contained information classified at “Top Secret” levels. TikTok has been opposing those requests.
Oral arguments in the case are scheduled to begin on Sept. 16.
veryGood! (72847)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Brazil approves a major tax reform overhaul that Lula says will ‘facilitate investment’
- A New Orleans neighborhood confronts the racist legacy of a toxic stretch of highway
- Georgia middle school teacher accused of threatening to behead Muslim student
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Exclusive: Shohei Ohtani's agent provides inside look at historic contract negotiations
- Kuwait’s ruling emir, Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah, dies at age 86
- Author receives German prize in scaled-down format after comparing Gaza to Nazi-era ghettos
- Sam Taylor
- NFL bans Eagles security chief Dom DiSandro from sideline for rest of regular season, AP sources say
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Mexico’s Maya tourist train opens for partial service amid delays and cost overruns
- Alex Jones offers to pay Newtown families at least $55 million over school shooting hoax conspiracy
- Federal agency quashes Georgia’s plan to let pharmacies sell medical marijuana
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Our top global posts might change how you think about hunters, AI and hellos
- Church of England blesses same-sex couples for the first time, but they still can’t wed in church
- What parents need to know before giving kids melatonin
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
The newest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm will be the show's last: I bid you farewell
Pro Picks: Josh Allen and the Bills will slow down Dallas and edge the Cowboys in a shootout
WWE's Charlotte Flair out of action for 9 months after knee injury suffered on 'Smackdown'
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
What parents need to know before giving kids melatonin
Britain says a Royal Navy ship has shot down an attack drone over the Red Sea
You'll Burn for This Update on Bridgerton Season 3