Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-Suriname’s ex-dictator sentenced to 20 years in prison for the 1982 killings of political opponents -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-Suriname’s ex-dictator sentenced to 20 years in prison for the 1982 killings of political opponents
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 00:17:09
PARAMARIBO,Ethermac Exchange Suriname (AP) — Suriname’s former dictator Desi Bouterse was sentenced on Wednesday to 20 years in prison for the murders of 15 opponents of the then-military regime in December 1982, ending a historic 16-year legal process.
Bouterse, 78, was previously sentenced in the case in 2019 and in 2021 but had appealed both decisions. The court on Wednesday upheld his conviction and the latest sentencing was seen as final with no more appeals allowed. The judge handed down 20 years given the ex-president’s age and that it was the highest sentence allowed at the time of the killings.
“We have received a gem of a verdict,” said Hugo Essed, lawyer for the victims’ relatives, adding that he can now “proudly” say there is an independent constitutional state in Suriname.
Neither Bouterse, nor his four co-suspects, who were sentenced to 15 years in prison, were present in the courtroom for the sentencing.
Bouterse’s lawyer, Irvin Kanhai, said he disagreed with the verdict and had expected an acquittal, but would go into detail at a later date. “I am going to my client now,” he told journalists.
The former president remains chair of the National Democratic Party and some fear unrest in parts of Suriname. Die-hard supporters call him “boss” and have maintained they will not accept a conviction. Bouterse has urged calm several times. Tight security measures were in place in part of the capital of Paramaribo.
Bouterse still has the option of requesting a presidential pardon, but according to Essed, the legislation in Suriname is unclear on the issue. “If a request for clemency is made, it is not expected that the Court will advise on granting it.”
Henk Kamperveen, the son of Andre Kamperveen, one of the 15 people killed, said it took a long time, but the legal process against Bouterse has finally come to an end.
“We’re not going to celebrate,” he added, saying it is not a victory for the relatives, but for the rule of law in Suriname.
Prosecutors had demanded the immediate imprisonment of Bouterse, but the judge did not back the request. “How and when (Bouterse’s imprisonment) will happen is up to the prosecution,” said Essed.
Bouterse led a bloodless coup to become dictator from 1980 to 1987 and was democratically elected president from 2010 to 2020.
He and two dozen others were accused of rounding up well-known people including lawyers, journalists and a university professor and executing them in 1982 in a colonial fortress in Paramaribo.
The former dictator has accepted “political responsibility” but insists he was not present for the killings known as the “December murders.”
The criminal trial began in 2007, a quarter-century after the events it relates to. A total of 25 suspects were initially accused in the killings. A dozen have been acquitted, six have died and five have been sentenced. Two have been convicted but are believed to have fled Suriname.
Bouterse unsuccessfully tried to push through an amnesty law after being elected in 2010. Then in 2016, he ordered Suriname’s attorney general to halt legal proceedings for alleged national security reasons. A court rejected that.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (4)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Robert De Niro tells jury that emotional abuse claims by ex-assistant are nonsense
- Maui police release body camera footage showing race to evacuate Lahaina residents: This town is on fire
- North Dakota woman arrested for allegedly killing boyfriend with poison; police cite financial motives
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Steelers in precarious spot as problems finally catch up to them
- Business group estimates several hundred thousand clean energy jobs in EV, battery storage and solar
- Senate Judiciary Committee to vote to authorize subpoenas to Harlan Crow, Leonard Leo as part of Supreme Court ethics probe
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Youngkin issues order aiming to combat antisemitism, other anti-religious hatred
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- NFL power rankings Week 9: Eagles ascend to top spot after Chiefs' slide
- Utility clerk appointed to West Virginia Legislature as GOP House member
- A woman who left Texas for India after her 6-year-old son went missing is charged with killing him
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- A small plane crash in central Ohio kills 2. The cause is under investigation
- Dozens of Afghans who were illegally in Pakistan are detained and deported in nationwide sweeps
- Sherri Shepherd channels Beyoncé, Kelly and Mark are 'Golden Bachelor': See daytime TV host costumes
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Prosecutors in Manny Ellis trial enter its 5th week by questioning his closest allies
Jana Kramer Claps Back at Rumors Her Pregnancy Is Fake
Sentencing postponed for Mississippi police officers who tortured 2 Black men
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Tunisia’s Islamist party leader is sentenced to 15 months in prison for supporting terrorism
What was Heidi Klum for Halloween this year? See her 2023 costume
Robert De Niro lashes out in court at ex-personal assistant who sued him: 'Shame on you!'