Current:Home > NewsMan convicted of manslaughter in the killing of former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith -Capitatum
Man convicted of manslaughter in the killing of former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:31:07
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A man who shot former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith following a traffic crash nearly eight years ago has been convicted of manslaughter.
The jury deliberated for more than four hours and reached its verdict in the retrial of Cardell Hayes just after midnight Saturday, news outlets reported. He faces up to 40 years in prison.
The jury acquitted Hayes of attempted manslaughter in the shooting and wounding of Smith’s wife during the April 2016 confrontation.
Hayes, 36, had previously been convicted in December 2016 of manslaughter in Smith’s death and attempted manslaughter for the gunshot wounding of Racquel Smith. But the jury vote was 10-2 and the conviction was tossed after the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed nonunanimous verdicts. Hayes was released on bond after having served more than four years of a 25-year sentence.
His retrial was delayed for various reasons, including court closures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prosecutors rested their case against Hayes on Friday and the defense chose not to call witnesses after that.
The city’s top prosecutor insisted during his closing argument that Hayes fired needlessly.
“One gun was fired by one man,” District Attorney Jason Williams said, holding in the air the evidence-tagged handgun Hayes fired, hitting Smith eight times — seven in the back — and also hitting Smith’s wife in the legs.
Defense attorney John Fuller insisted prosecutors had not proven Hayes did not act in self-defense. Fuller pointed to a recording of a 911 call made soon after the shooting in which Hayes can be heard in the background claiming Smith had stated he intended to get a gun from his car.
Fuller sought to refute prosecutors’ claims that Racquel Smith had calmed her husband down by the time Hayes opened fire.
“You don’t say ‘Calm down it’s not worth it’ if you don’t have to say ‘Calm down it’s not worth it,’” he said, referring to prosecution testimony about Racquel’s efforts to defuse the argument.
Evidence showed Will Smith was intoxicated at the time of the confrontation. But there was no witness or forensic evidence to back up Hayes’ claim that Smith had wielded or fired a weapon.
Smith, a 34-year-old father of three, was a defensive leader on the Saints team that lifted spirits in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina devastated the city in 2005. He helped carry the team to a winning season in 2006 and a Super Bowl victory in 2010.
Hayes, who owned a tow truck business, once played semi-pro football. He has one son.
veryGood! (83776)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Active shooter incidents in US slightly down in 2023 but deaths up, FBI report shows
- Father, daughter found dead at Canyonlands National Park after running out of water in 100-degree heat
- What to watch as the Republican National Convention kicks off days after Trump assassination attempt
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- 'Good Morning Football' set to relaunch in July after NFL Network reboots show
- French sports minister takes a dip in the Seine weeks before the 2024 Paris Olympics begin
- Detroit Lions to induct Calvin Johnson into their ring of honor
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Powerball winning numbers for July 13 drawing: Jackpot rises to $64 million
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Magnitude 3.4 earthquake recorded outside of Chicago Monday morning
- England vs Spain highlights: Mikel Oyarzabal goal wins thrilling Euro 2024 final
- French sports minister takes a dip in the Seine weeks before the 2024 Paris Olympics begin
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Old Navy’s 50% off Cyber Sale Is Here! Score Cute Summer Tops, Dresses & More Starting at $9.99
- Vermont seeks federal damage assessment for floods caused by Hurricane Beryl’s remnants
- Get 60% Off SKIMS, 50% Off Old Navy, 50% Off Le Creuset, 25% Off Disney, 75% off Gap & More Deals
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Vermont seeks federal damage assessment for floods caused by Hurricane Beryl’s remnants
Copa America final between Argentina and Colombia delayed after crowd breaches security gates
What Shannen Doherty Said About Motherhood Months Before Her Death
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
The Sphere will hit an EDM beat for New Year's Eve show with Anyma in Vegas debut
Doctor at Trump rally describes rendering aid to badly wounded shooting victim: There was lots of blood
2024 Olympics: BTS' Jin Had a Dynamite Appearance in Torch Relay