Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:Haitian judge issues arrest warrants accusing former presidents and prime ministers of corruption -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Haitian judge issues arrest warrants accusing former presidents and prime ministers of corruption
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 09:47:23
PORT-AU-PRINCE,Charles Langston Haiti (AP) — A judge in Haiti has issued arrest warrants for more than 30 high-ranking officials accused of government corruption, including numerous former presidents and prime ministers.
The warrants, issued Friday and leaked on social media sites over the weekend, accuse the group of misappropriation of funds or equipment related to Haiti’s National Equipment Center. The center is responsible for using heavy machinery for tasks such as building roads or clearing rubble, especially after earthquakes.
Among those named are former presidents Michel Martelly and Jocelerme Privert, as well as former prime ministers Laurent Lamothe, Jean-Michel Lapin, Evans Paul and Jean-Henry Céant. Also accused is former prime minister Claude Joseph, who was in power when former president Jovenel Moïse was killed in July 2021.
None of those named in the arrest warrant could be immediately reached for comment, although Privert, Lapin and Joseph issued statements denying the allegations.
No one has been arrested in the case.
The judge is requesting that those accused meet with him for questioning as the investigation continues, but only Joseph has so far appeared in court.
It is common for Haitian government officials accused in a criminal or civil case to routinely ignore arrest warrants or requests for questioning and face no punishment as they accuse judges of political persecution. It is also rare for any high-ranking Haitian official to be charged with corruption, let alone face trial.
Local newspaper Le Nouvelliste obtained a copy of a statement issued by Lapin, a former prime minister, in which he states that he was never officially notified of the arrest warrant.
He also said that at no time during his 32-year political career did he ever become involved with the National Equipment Center.
“I have also never requisitioned or requested the use of any equipment from this institution for my personal needs or for loved ones,” he said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Privert, a former president, issued a statement accusing the judge of acting maliciously and thoughtlessly. He also noted that the Court of First Instance in the capital of Port-au-Prince, “has no jurisdiction over the actions taken by presidents, prime ministers and ministers in the exercise of their functions.”
The judge could not be immediately reached for comment.
Ex-prime minister Claude Joseph wrote Monday on X, formerly known as Twitter, that he will meet with the judge as requested even though he rejected any association with the National Equipment Center.
“No one, regardless of the position you held in the state, is above the law,” he wrote. “If a judge decides to abuse his office by abusing justice, that is his business. I will not despise the justice of my country. I will be present.”
No further details about the investigation were immediately available.
veryGood! (378)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Bob Huggins says he didn't resign as West Virginia basketball coach
- Fives States Have Filed Climate Change Lawsuits, Seeking Damages From Big Oil and Gas
- Inside Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor's Private Family Life With Their Kids
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Donald Trump Jr. subpoenaed for Michael Cohen legal fees trial
- New Jersey ship blaze that killed 2 firefighters finally extinguished after nearly a week
- Ice Dam Bursts Threaten to Increase Sunny Day Floods as Hotter Temperatures Melt Glaciers
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Untangling Exactly What Happened to Pregnant Olympian Tori Bowie
Ranking
- Small twin
- Warming Trends: Stories of a Warming Sea, Spotless Dragonflies and Bad News for Shark Week
- Migrant girl with illness dies in U.S. custody, marking fourth such death this year
- Donald Trump Jr. subpoenaed for Michael Cohen legal fees trial
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Olaplex, Sunday Riley & More: Stock Up on These Under $50 Beauty Deals Today Only
- COP26 Presented Forests as a Climate Solution, But May Not Be Able to Keep Them Standing
- Coronavirus: When Meeting a National Emissions-Reduction Goal May Not Be a Good Thing
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
3D-printed homes level up with a 2-story house in Houston
Drier Springs Bring Hotter Summers in the Withering Southwest
Maryland, Virginia Lawmakers Spearhead Drive to Make the Chesapeake Bay a National Recreation Area
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Kourtney Kardashian Debuts Baby Bump Days After Announcing Pregnancy at Travis Barker's Concert
Historic floodwaters begin to recede as Vermont dam stabilizes after nearing capacity
UAE names its oil company chief to lead U.N. climate talks