Current:Home > reviewsDNA from pizza crust linked Gilgo Beach murders suspect to victim, court documents say -Capitatum
DNA from pizza crust linked Gilgo Beach murders suspect to victim, court documents say
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-05 20:19:48
DNA from a pizza crust that was discarded earlier this year was used to link the suspect charged in the Gilgo murders case with one of the victims, prosecutors allege in court documents released Friday.
Rex Heuermann, 59, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello, according to the indictment. Those three women, along with Maureen Brainard-Barnes, were all found in close proximity to one another in 2010 and have been called the "Gilgo Beach Four."
In all, the bodies of at least 10 women were found in the area, believed to be the victims of a serial killer. Some of the victims had been wrapped in burlap.
In court Friday, Heuermann pleaded not guilty, and the judge ordered him held without bail. In the court filing, prosecutors outlined how investigators reexamined old clues that led to the suspect and developed new evidence to close in on him after so many years.
According to the newly released court documents, on or about Jan. 26, 2023, a surveillance team recovered a pizza box thrown by Heuermann into a garbage can on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.
"This pizza box was sent to the Suffolk County Crime Laboratory for analysis, where a swab was taken from the leftover pizza crust," prosecutors wrote.
About three months later, on April 28, a detective hand-delivered a portion of male hair that was found on Megan Waterman that had been preserved as evidence to the same lab where the pizza crust had been tested.
On or about June 12, 2023, the forensic lab compared the mitochondrial DNA from the pizza and the hair and determined that the "DNA profile(s) are the same" — specifically that 99.96% of the North American population would be excluded as matches to the hair.
"It is significant that (Heuermann) cannot be excluded from the male hair recovered near the 'bottom of the burlap' utilized to restrain and transport Megan Waterman's naked and deceased body," prosecutors wrote.
Prosecutors said investigators were led to Heuermann initially after a witness reported seeing a pickup truck matching the model he owned when one of the victims disappeared in 2010. They also linked him to other evidence including burner phones used to arrange meetings with the victims.
Heuermann was arrested late Thursday and was charged Friday.
If convicted, he faces multiple life sentences without parole, authorities said.
CBS News senior investigative reporter Pat Milton contributed to this report.
- In:
- Gilgo Beach Serial Killer
- Gilgo Beach Murders
- DNA
- Murder
- Long Island
Stephen Smith is a senior editor for CBSNews.com.
veryGood! (6854)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Dangerous brew: Ocean heat and La Nina combo likely mean more Atlantic hurricanes this summer
- Lindsay Hubbard Makes Major Dig at Ex Carl Radke in Shady Summer House Preview
- Pennsylvania Rep. Dwight Evans says he’s recovering from a minor stroke
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Moms for Liberty to spend over $3 million targeting presidential swing state voters
- 5 things to know about Memorial Day, including its evolution and controversies
- The Justice Department is suing Ticketmaster and Live Nation. What does that mean for concertgoers?
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- White House state dinner features stunning DC views, knockout menu and celebrity star power
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Zendaya and Tom Holland Hold Hands on Rare Date After His Romeo and Juliet Debut in London
- Why Patrick Mahomes Wants Credit as Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift’s “Matchmaker”
- The Try Guys’ Eugene Lee Yang Exits YouTube Group 2 Years After Ned Fulmer Scandal
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Bursting can of bear spray drove away grizzly in Teton attack; bear won't be killed: Reports
- Kelly Osbourne Details Frightening Moment Son Sidney Got Cord Wrapped Around His Neck During Birth
- Cassie breaks silence, thanks fans for support after 2016 Diddy assault video surfaces
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Kentucky governor takes action on Juneteenth holiday and against discrimination based on hairstyles
Michael Richards opens up about private prostate cancer battle in 2018
Coast Guard: 3 people missing after boat capsizes off Alaska, 1 other found with no signs of life
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Court overturns suspension of Alex Jones’ lawyer in Sandy Hook case that led to $1.4B judgment
Longtime Cowboys, NFL reporter Ed Werder is leaving ESPN
NOAA 2024 hurricane season forecast warns of more storms than ever. Here's why.