Current:Home > MyGeorge Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos -Capitatum
George Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 13:44:50
NEW YORK − Former U.S. Rep. George Santos alleged in a lawsuit filed Saturday that late-night host Jimmy Kimmel deceived him into making videos on the Cameo app that were used to ridicule the disgraced New York Republican on the show.
The lawsuit filed in U.S. district court for the southern district of New York names Kimmel, ABC and Walt Disney Co. as defendants. A Disney representative listed as a media contact for the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show didn't immediately respond to The Associated Press' request for comment.
Santos, who was expelled from the House of Representatives last year after being charged with multiple counts of fraud and stealing from donors, is suing over alleged copyright infringement, fraudulent inducement, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Kimmel misrepresented himself to induce Santos to create personalized videos "capitalizing on and ridiculing" his "gregarious personality," the lawsuit alleges.
Through Cameo, Santos received requests from individuals and businesses seeking personalized video messages. Unbeknownst to Santos, Kimmel submitted at least 14 requests that used phony names and narratives, according to the complaint.
Starting in December the videos were played on a segment, " Will Santos Say It? " the suit says.
'Soft-brained wackos':Jimmy Kimmel hits back at Aaron Rodgers after he speculates comic is on Epstein list
In one of the clips, Santos offers congratulations to the purported winner of a beef-eating contest, calling the feat of consuming 6 pounds of ground beef in under 30 minutes "amazing and impressive."
"Frankly, Kimmel's fake requests were funny, but what he did was clear violation of copyright law," Robert Fantone, an attorney for Santos, said.
Academy AwardsJimmy Kimmel gets help from Ryan Gosling's Ken, Weird Barbie on way to Oscars Land
Santos is seeking statutory damages totaling $750,000 for the five videos he created that were played on the show and various social media platforms. He also asks for other damages to be determined at trial.
The ex-lawmaker faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He also is alleged to have made unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his donors.
Santos pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
On Tuesday, Democrat Tom Suozzi won a special election for Santos' former seat.
veryGood! (47)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Arizona police officer killed, another injured in shooting at Gila River Indian Community
- Shocking revelations from 'Life & Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson' Lifetime documentary
- West Virginia hotel where several people were sickened had no carbon monoxide detectors
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Stock market today: Asian shares start June with big gains following Wall St rally
- Unprecedented ocean temperatures make this hurricane season especially dangerous
- Man hospitalized after shark attack off Southern California coast
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Tesla recalls over 125,000 vehicles over issue with seat belt warning system
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- LGBTQ representation in government is growing but still disproportionate: Graphics explain
- Shoshana Bean opens up about aging in the entertainment industry and working with Alicia Keys
- Ex-NJ officer sentenced to 27 years in shooting death of driver, wounding of passenger in 2019 chase
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Black bear found dead in plastic bag near walking trail in Washington, DC, suburb
- Mega Millions winning numbers for May 31 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $560 million
- Boeing Starliner's first astronaut flight halted at the last minute
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Shiloh Jolie-Pitt wants to drop dad Brad Pitt's last name per legal request, reports state
Black bear found dead in plastic bag near walking trail in Washington, DC, suburb
Man gets 43-year prison sentence in death of Detroit-area teen whose body is lost in landfill
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Hour by hour: A brief timeline of the Allies’ June 6, 1944, D-Day invasion of occupied France
Need a pharmacy? These states and neighborhoods have less access
World War II veteran awarded Pennsylvania high school diploma 2 days before his death at age 98