Current:Home > MarketsFormer SS guard, 98, charged as accessory to murder at Nazi concentration camp -Capitatum
Former SS guard, 98, charged as accessory to murder at Nazi concentration camp
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 00:51:17
A 98-year-old man has been charged in Germany with being an accessory to murder as a guard at the Nazis' Sachsenhausen concentration camp between 1943 and 1945, prosecutors said Friday.
The German citizen, a resident of Main-Kinzig county near Frankfurt, is accused of having "supported the cruel and malicious killing of thousands of prisoners as a member of the SS guard detail," prosecutors in Giessen said in a statement. They did not release the suspect's name.
He is charged with more than 3,300 counts of being an accessory to murder between July 1943 and February 1945. The indictment was filed at the state court in Hanau, which will now have to decide whether to send the case to trial. If it does, he will be tried under juvenile law, taking account of his age at the time of the alleged crimes.
Prosecutors said that a report by a psychiatric expert last October found that the suspect is fit to stand trial at least on a limited basis.
More than 200,000 people were held at Sachsenhausen, just north of Berlin, between 1936 and 1945. Tens of thousands died of starvation, disease, forced labor, and other causes, as well as through medical experiments and systematic SS extermination operations including shootings, hangings and gassing.
Exact numbers for those killed vary, with upper estimates of some 100,000, though scholars suggest figures of 40,000 to 50,000 are likely more accurate.
Law enables trials of surviving SS personnel
German prosecutors have brought several cases under a precedent set in recent years that allows for people who helped a Nazi camp function to be prosecuted as an accessory to the murders there without direct evidence that they participated in a specific killing.
Charges of murder and being an accessory to murder aren't subject to a statute of limitations under German law.
But given the advanced age of the accused, many trials have had to be cancelled for health reasons.
Convictions also do not lead to actual imprisonment, with some defendants dying before they could even begin to serve their jail terms.
Among those found guilty in these late trials were Oskar Groening — a former Nazi death camp guard dubbed the "Accountant of Auschwitz" — and Reinhold Hanning, a former SS guard at the same camp.
Both men were found guilty for complicity in mass murder at age 94 but died before they could be imprisoned.
An 101-year-old ex-Nazi camp guard, Josef Schuetz was convicted last year, becoming the oldest so far to be put on trial for complicity.
He died in April while awaiting the outcome of an appeal against his five-year jail sentence.
And a 97-year-old former concentration camp secretary, Irmgard Furchner, became the first woman to be tried for Nazi crimes in decades in December 2022, the BBC reported. She was found guilty of complicity in the murders of more than 10,500 people at Stutthof camp, near the city of Danzig.
AFP contributed to this report.
- In:
- Nazi
- Germany
veryGood! (41)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Indian authorities release Kashmiri journalist Fahad Shah after 21 months in prison
- Lawsuit accuses actor Jamie Foxx of New York City sexual assault in 2015
- Dolly Parton, dressed as iconic Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, rocks Thanksgiving halftime
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Republican ex-federal prosecutor in Philadelphia to run for Pennsylvania attorney general
- NYC Mayor Eric Adams accused of sexual assault 30 years ago in court filing
- Why Mark Wahlberg Wakes Up at 3:30 A.M.
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- This designer made the bodysuit Beyoncé wears in 'Renaissance' film poster
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Indian authorities release Kashmiri journalist Fahad Shah after 21 months in prison
- Ukraine aims a major drone attack at Crimea as Russia tries to capture a destroyed eastern city
- The casting director for 'Elf' would pick this other 'SNL' alum to star in a remake
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- It's the cheapest Thanksgiving Day for drivers since 2020. Here's where gas prices could go next.
- Mexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship
- Vietnam’s plan for spending $15.5 billion for its clean energy transition to be announced at COP28
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
'Like seeing a unicorn': Moose on loose becomes a viral sensation in Minnesota
Pep Guardiola faces fresh questions about allegations of financial wrongdoing by Manchester City
Beyoncé shares Renaissance Tour movie trailer in Thanksgiving surprise: Watch
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Jonathan Bailey’s Wicked Tease Will Have Fans Dancing Through Life
5 people dead in a Thanksgiving van crash on a south Georgia highway
How to enroll in Zelle: Transfer money through the app easily with this step-by-step guide