Current:Home > InvestParents turn in children after police release photos from flash mob robberies, LAPD says -Capitatum
Parents turn in children after police release photos from flash mob robberies, LAPD says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 08:48:58
California parents turned their children in after the Los Angeles Police Department asked for the public’s help finding juveniles who partook in multiple flash mob robberies at 7-Eleven stores and fled on bicycles.
An officer from the LAPD confirmed to USA TODAY that some of the people involved were turned in by their parents.
Since July, the group of juveniles have targeted 14 stores, police said in a news release on Sept. 25. Calling them “flash robberies,” authorities said 20 to 40 suspects were involved and most often, they fled on bicycles.
The 14 robberies ranged from mid-July to September and some stores were hit more than once. Stores were typically close to each other in Rampart, Hollywood, Wilshire and West LA and most of the robberies happened on Friday evenings, authorities said.
Police say the group committed the 14 robberies on the following days: July 12, July 19, Aug. 2, Aug. 9, Aug. 16, and Sept. 20.
Parents turning children in:Father turns in 10-year-old son after he allegedly threatened to 'shoot up' Florida school
Teens rode bikes to store robberies, police say
Authorities said the suspects showed up to the stores on bicycles during the evenings, usually Fridays, then walked in, took items, damaged property, and left without paying for anything.
“The suspects are described as youthful males, possibly teens varying in ethnicity and physical descriptors,” police wrote on Sept. 25.
Witnesses said the suspects pushed them, although no one reported injuries, police said.
“Several witnesses continue to fear for their safety after such aggressive and callous criminal behavior,” police added.
Police released more than 100 images of suspects to get tips
LAPD released more than 100 photos from the incidents last week.
Assistant Chief Blake Chow said the photos prompted at least three parents to reach out once they recognized their children, reported television station KNBC. The teens were released but prosecutors are reviewing evidence, the outlet reported.
LAPD said the agency has set in place extra patrol efforts to prevent future flash mob robberies.
Authorities ask that anyone with information call 1-877-527-3247 or the L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477. Tipsters can also go to www.lacrimestoppers.org or send evidence to [email protected].
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (81748)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 76ers president Daryl Morey 'hopeful' Joel Embiid can return for possible postseason run
- The Bear Season 3: Premiere Date Clue Proves the Show Is Almost Ready to Serve
- Fan suffers non-life threatening injuries after fall at WM Phoenix Open's 16th hole
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Coronavirus FAQ: I'm immunocompromised. Will pills, gargles and sprays fend off COVID?
- How Asian American and Pacific Islander athletes in the NFL express their cultural pride
- Former Mets GM Billy Eppler suspended through World Series for fabricating injuries
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Country Singer Parker McCollum and Wife Hallie Expecting First Baby
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- There might actually be fewer TV shows to watch: Why 'Peak TV' is over
- 5 manatees rescued as orphans get released in Florida waters at Blue Spring State Park
- South Dakota deputy killed on duty honored with flashing emergency lights, packed stadium
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Will $36M Florida Lottery Mega Millions prize go unclaimed? The deadline is ticking.
- Indianapolis man arrested after stabbing deaths of 2 women in their 50s
- Texas woman is sentenced to 3 years in prison for threatening judge overseeing Trump documents case
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
How King Charles and Kate Middleton’s Health Challenges Are Already Changing the Royal Family
2 more women accuse Jonathan Majors of physical, emotional abuse in new report
'Wait Wait' for February 10, 2024: With Not My Job guest Lena Waithe
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
A 'Love Story' turned 'Red': Fireball releases lipstick inspired by Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce
The Bear Season 3: Premiere Date Clue Proves the Show Is Almost Ready to Serve
City drops charges against pastor as sides negotiate over Ohio church’s 24/7 ministry