Current:Home > StocksTrump asks judge in Jan. 6 case for 2-month extension to file pretrial motions -Capitatum
Trump asks judge in Jan. 6 case for 2-month extension to file pretrial motions
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 20:04:33
Former President Donald Trump's legal team has asked the judge overseeing his federal election interference case for a two-month extension for the filing of pretrial motions.
The current deadline for pretrial motions in the case is Oct. 9, with the case currently scheduled to go to trial on March 4.
Trump's legal team argues that this is the "first time a President has been charged for conduct committed while in office, and the first time the leading presidential candidate has been charged in the middle of a campaign by his opponent's administration."
MORE: Trump opposes special counsel's request for gag order in Jan. 6 case
As a result, they argue, "defense counsel must research and address issues of extreme constitutional import that require careful analysis and briefing."
Trump last month pleaded not guilty to charges of undertaking a "criminal scheme" to overturn the results of the 2020 election by enlisting a slate of so-called "fake electors," using the Justice Department to conduct "sham election crime investigations," trying to enlist the vice president to "alter the election results," and promoting false claims of a stolen election as the Jan. 6 riot raged -- all in an effort to subvert democracy and remain in power.
The request for a delay comes after Trump's legal team also asked the judge overseeing his classified documents case for a three-month delay to deal with issues related to their ability to view classified information. That trial is currently set to begin on May 20.
Trump pleaded not guilty in June to 37 criminal counts related to his handling of classified materials, after prosecutors said he repeatedly refused to return hundreds of documents containing classified information ranging from U.S. nuclear secrets to the nation's defense capabilities, and took steps to thwart the government's efforts to get the documents back.
Separately, special counsel Jack Smith's team said in a filing Thursday that there are some documents involved in the case that are so sensitive that they cannot even be stored with other classified information in a Sensitive Compartment Information Facility or SCIF -- a specially-prepared secure room for viewing highly classified materials.
"The Government stated at the September 12 hearing that there were five charged documents that the defense SCIF is not currently authorized to store," Smith's team wrote in a footnote regarding the secure facility being used by Trump's defense team. "The owners of four additional charged documents have since requested that those documents not currently be stored in the defense SCIF, and as a result, on September 26, the CISO removed those documents from the SCIF."
This includes nine documents in total, according to the special counsel, who said in the filing that they are attempting to establish a location in Florida to where the documents can be viewed.
Smith's team says that in the meantime, they can be viewed at a location in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (92)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Colorado is deciding if homeowner tax relief can come out of a refund that’s one-of-a-kind in the US
- Félix Verdejo, ex-boxer convicted of killing pregnant lover Keishla Rodríguez Ortiz, gets life sentence
- Bronny James in attendance for USC opener in Las Vegas, and LeBron James hopes for a comeback
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- NFL Week 9 winners, losers: Bills' bravado backfires as slide continues
- Cubs pull shocking move by hiring Craig Counsell as manager and firing David Ross
- The spectacle of Sam Bankman-Fried's trial
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Michigan football served notice of potential disciplinary action from Big Ten
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- The Air Force asks Congress to protect its nuclear launch sites from encroaching wind turbines
- A month into war, Netanyahu says Israel will have an ‘overall security’ role in Gaza indefinitely
- Depression affects 1 in 5 people. Here's what it feels like.
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Illinois lawmakers scrutinize private school scholarships without test-result data
- Teachers in Portland, Oregon, strike for a 4th day amid impasse with school district
- Customers at Bank of America, Wells Fargo and other banks grappling with deposit delays
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Rashida Tlaib defends pro-Palestinian video as rift among Michigan Democrats widens over war
Tatcha Flash Sale: Score $150 Worth of Bestselling Skincare Products for Just $79
Shohei Ohtani among seven to get qualifying offers, 169 free agents hit the market
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Militants kill 11 farmers in Nigeria’s north, raising fresh concerns about food supplies
Children who survive shootings endure huge health obstacles and costs
Civilians fleeing northern Gaza’s combat zone report a terrifying journey on foot past Israeli tanks