Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London -Capitatum
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:23:23
London — A British newspaper group has apologized for illegal information gathering and Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centervowed it won't happen again in a trial beginning Wednesday that pits Britain's Prince Harry and other celebrities against the U.K's tabloid press. The trial kicking off Wednesday at London's High Court is over a suit, brought jointly by the Duke of Sussex and other U.K. celebrities, including popstar Cheryl Cole and the estate of the late George Michael, against the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), publisher of the Daily Mirror tabloid, over alleged phone hacking.
- British tabloids and their "invisible contract" with the royals
The Mirror Group is contesting the claims against it, arguing that some have been brought beyond the permissible time limit and denying some others. However, MGN said in court documents released Wednesday that there was "some evidence of the instruction of third parties to engage in other types of UIG [unlawful information gathering] in respect of each of the Claimants," which "warrants compensation."
"MGN unreservedly apologizes for all such instances of UIG, and assures the claimants that such conduct will never be repeated," court documents said. "This apology is not made with the tactical objective of reducing damages (MGN accepts that an apology at this stage will not have that effect), but is made because such conduct should never have occurred."
- Harry claims William reached "large" settlement with Murdoch tabloids over hacking
The celebrities' claims pertain to a period between 1996 and 2011, which encompasses the time when media personality Piers Morgan, now a vocal critic of Prince Harry and his wife Megan, Duchess of Sussex, served as the Daily Mirror's editor.
MGN previously admitted that phone hacking had historically taken place at its papers, and it has paid settlements to victims, Sky News reported.
The suit was launched in 2019, and Harry is expected to testify in June. It alleges that journalists working for the Mirror Group gathered information unlawfully, including by hacking phones. Prince Harry's legal team initially pointed to 144 articles that they said used unlawfully gathered information. Only 33 will be considered in the trial, according to Sky News.
Harry and Meghan have filed at least seven lawsuits against U.S. and U.K. media outlets since 2019, according to Sky News, and Harry is currently involved in four cases against U.K. tabloid newspapers. He is part of a group alleging unlawful information gathering at Associated Newspapers Limited, which publishes The Daily Mail, and against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun tabloid.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (93)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Over 40,000 without power in Louisiana as Hurricane Francine slams into Gulf Coast
- WNBA players criticize commissioner for downplaying social media vitriol
- The echoes of Colin Kaepernick ring loudly in Tyreek Hill police detainment
- Sam Taylor
- Candidates can use campaign funds for child care in most states, but few do
- Remains found in car in Illinois river identified as 2 men who vanished in 1976, coroner says
- Frankie Beverly, the Maze singer who inspired generations of fans with lasting anthems, dies at 77
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Fever fall to record-setting A'ja Wilson, Aces
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- DA who oversaw abandoned prosecution of Colorado man in wife’s death should be disbarred, panel says
- Mississippi man found not guilty of threatening Republican US Sen. Roger Wicker
- Karen Read asks Massachusetts high court to dismiss two charges
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Ex-Indiana basketball player accuses former team doctor of conducting inappropriate exams
- US filings for unemployment benefits inch up slightly but remain historically low
- Why Orlando Bloom’s Reaction to Katy Perry’s 2024 MTV VMAs Performance Has the Internet Buzzing
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Dave Grohl and Wife Jordyn Blum Were All Smiles on Wimbledon Date 2 Months Before His Baby News
Jon Bon Jovi Talks Woman Off Ledge of Bridge in Nashville, Police Say
'My son is not a monster': Mother of Georgia shooting suspect apologizes in letter
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
1-Day Deal: Get 50% Off NFL Hoodie & Shirt Set—Chiefs, 49ers, Lions, Ravens & More
Ravens' Kyle Van Noy rips Chiefs medical staff after injury: 'Super unprofessional'
Reggie Bush was at his LA-area home when 3 male suspects attempted to break in