Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:In a rare action against Israel, US says extremist West Bank settlers will be barred from America -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:In a rare action against Israel, US says extremist West Bank settlers will be barred from America
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 01:06:25
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a rare punitive move against Israel,SafeX Pro the State Department said Tuesday it will impose travel bans on extremist Jewish settlers implicated in a rash of recent attacks on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced the step after warning Israel last week that President Joe Biden’s administration would be taking action over the attacks. Blinken did not announce individual visa bans, but department spokesman Matthew Miller said the bans would be implemented starting Tuesday and would cover “dozens” of settlers and their families, with more to come. He wouldn’t give a number and refused to identify any of those targeted due to confidentiality reasons.
The decision comes at a sensitive moment in U.S.-Israeli relations. The Biden administration has firmly backed Israel since it was attacked by Hamas on Oct. 7, even as international criticism of Israel has mounted.
But in recent weeks, the administration has stepped up calls on Israel to do more to limit civilian casualties as the Israelis expand their offensive and target densely populated southern Gaza. The U.S. has refrained from outright criticism of that offensive. It has been increasingly outspoken, however, about settler violence in the West Bank and Israel’s failure to respond to U.S. calls to stop it.
“We have underscored to the Israeli government the need to do more to hold accountable extremist settlers who have committed violent attacks against Palestinians in the West Bank,” Blinken said in a statement. “As President Biden has repeatedly said, those attacks are unacceptable.”
“Today, the State Department is implementing a new visa restriction policy targeting individuals believed to have been involved in undermining peace, security or stability in the West Bank, including through committing acts of violence or taking other actions that unduly restrict civilians’ access to essential services and basic necessities,” Blinken said.
He said the U.S. would continue to seek accountability for settler violence against Palestinians as well as Palestinian attacks against Israelis in the West Bank and Israel, particularly as tensions are extremely high due to the conflict in Gaza.
“Both Israel and the Palestinian Authority have the responsibility to uphold stability in the West Bank,” Blinken said. “Instability in the West Bank both harms the Israeli and Palestinian people and threatens Israel’s national security interests.”
Tuesday’s move comes just a month after Israel was granted entry into the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, which allows its citizens visa-free entry into the U.S. Those targeted by the action will not be eligible for the program, and those who hold current U.S. visas will have them revoked.
veryGood! (39591)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- 2% of kids and 7% of adults have gotten the new COVID shots, US data show
- Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students pleads not guilty to murder
- Snow piles up in North Dakota as region’s first major snowstorm of the season moves eastward
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Judge says Georgia’s congressional and legislative districts are discriminatory and must be redrawn
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- Details of the tentative UAW-Ford agreement that would end 41-day strike
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Gulf oil lease sale postponed by court amid litigation over endangered whale protections
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Indian company that makes EV battery materials to build its first US plant in North Carolina
- Northwestern State football cancels 2023 season after safety Ronnie Caldwell's death
- And the First Celebrity Voted Off House of Villains Was...
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- As the Turkish Republic turns 100, here’s a look at its achievements and challenges ahead
- And the First Celebrity Voted Off House of Villains Was...
- Huawei reports its revenue inched higher in January-September despite US sanctions
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Slain Maryland judge remembered as dedicated and even-keeled
Working-age Americans are struggling to pay for health care, even those with insurance, report finds
Duran Duran reunites with Andy Taylor for best song in a decade on 'Danse Macabre' album
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Residents shelter in place as manhunt intensifies following Lewiston, Maine, mass shooting
As the Turkish Republic turns 100, here’s a look at its achievements and challenges ahead
Bar struck by Maine mass shooting mourns victims: In a split second your world gets turn upside down