Current:Home > reviewsThe head of Arkansas’ Board of Corrections says he’s staying despite governor’s call for resignation -Capitatum
The head of Arkansas’ Board of Corrections says he’s staying despite governor’s call for resignation
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:05:49
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Friday called for the head of the Board of Corrections to immediately resign in the latest round of a dispute over who runs the state’s prison system.
Sanders’ letter came after Board of Corrections Chairman Benny Magness requested Wednesday that 138 National Guard members be deployed to work full time in the state’s prisons to “help fill in staffing gaps.”
Magness intends to finish his term, which ends in two years, Corrections Department spokesperson Dina Tyler said in an email Friday to The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Magness was appointed to the board in 1999 by Sanders’ father, then-Gov. Mike Huckabee.
The dispute stems from the Sanders administration moving forward with opening 622 temporary prison beds that the board has not approved. Board members have said opening the temporary beds would jeopardize the safety of inmates and staff.
Arkansas’ prisons are currently above capacity, with more than 1,600 additional state inmates being held in county jails.
Sanders wrote in her letter Friday that if the board wants more beds, it should reinstate Corrections Secretary Joe Profiri and implement his “plan to safely reopen beds with no additional personnel needed.”
“I will not inject our guardsmen and women into a purely political situation caused by the very person requesting them,” Sanders said in her letter to Magness.
Tyler noted that the guard members would not directly supervise inmates but would fill support positions for security, including in towers and at entrances. A similar strategy has been used in other states such as Florida and New Hampshire, the department said.
The board last week suspended Profiri and sued the state over a new law that took away the panel’s hiring and firing power over Profiri and and gave it to the governor. A judge issued a temporary order blocking the law and set a hearing for next week in the case. Attorney General Tim Griffin has asked the court to reconsider its order.
The blocked law also would have given the corrections secretary, not the board, hiring and firing authority over the correction and community correction division directors.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Here's how to tell if your next flight is on a Boeing 737 Max 9
- St. Louis rapper found not guilty of murder after claiming self-defense in 2022 road-rage shootout
- Lauren Boebert’s ex-husband charged after 2 domestic incidents
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- AP Photos: Indians rejoice in colorful Republic Day parade with the French president as chief guest
- US regulators close investigation into Ford Escape door latches and will not seek a recall
- Bill decriminalizing drug test strips in opioid-devastated West Virginia heads to governor
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- One escaped Arkansas inmate apprehended, second remains at large
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- An American reporter jailed in Russia loses his appeal, meaning he’ll stay in jail through March
- JetBlue informs Spirit “certain conditions” of $3.8 billion buyout deal may not be met by deadline
- American founder of Haitian orphanage sexually abused 4 boys, prosecutor says
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Tattoo artist Kat Von D didn’t violate photographer’s copyright of Miles Davis portrait, jury says
- Tyrese Haliburton on NBA All-Star Game in front of Indianapolis fans, fashion, furry friend
- DJ Rick Buchanan Found Decapitated in Memphis Home
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
New Hampshire veteran admits to faking his need for a wheelchair to claim $660,000 in extra benefits
New Mexico lawmakers don’t get a salary. Some say it’s time for a paycheck
Harry Connick Sr., former New Orleans district attorney and singer's dad, dies at age 97
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
The Best Sales To Shop This Weekend from Vince Camuto, BaubleBar, Pottery Barn, & More
Tensions simmering in the South China Sea and violence in Myanmar as Laos takes over ASEAN chair
Teen Mom’s Kailyn Lowry Shares Her Twins Spent Weeks in NICU After Premature Birth