Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over -Capitatum
Chainkeen|Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 16:04:28
Los Angeles — The earliest iteration of Mickey Mouse is on a rampage, barely two days in the public domain.
Slashed free of Disney's copyright as of Monday, the iconic character from "Steamboat Willie" is already the focus of two horror films. On Monday, just hours after the 1928 short entered the public domain, a trailer for "Mickey's Mouse Trap" dropped on YouTube. Another yet-to-be-titled film was announced Tuesday.
"Steamboat Willie" featured early versions of both Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, it was the third cartoon featuring the duo they made but the first to be released. In it, a more menacing Mickey, bearing more resemblance to rat than mouse, captains a boat and makes musical instruments out of other animals.
It's perhaps fitting, then, that the first projects announced are seemingly low-budget and campy slasher movies - and not unprecedented. Winnie the Pooh - sans red shirt - entered the public domain in 2022; scarcely a year later, he was notching up a heavy body count in the microbudget "Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey."
In the trailer for "Mickey's Mouse Trap," directed by Jamie Bailey, what appears to be a human in a comically small Mickey mask terrorizes a group of young people at an arcade.
"A place for fun. A place for friends. A place for hunting," text flashed during the trailer reads. "The mouse is out."
"We just wanted to have fun with it all. I mean it's 'Steamboat Willie''s Mickey Mouse murdering people," director Jamie Bailey said in a statement cited by trade publications. "It's ridiculous. We ran with it and had fun doing it and I think it shows."
No release date has been set.
The second movie is from director Steven LaMorte, who previously directed a horror parody of "The Grinch," which isn't in the public domain (the movie is thus called "The Mean One").
"A late-night boat ride turns into a desperate fight for survival in New York City when a mischievous mouse becomes a monstrous reality," is the logline for the untitled film, per a post on LaMorte's Instagram.
" 'Steamboat Willie' has brought joy to generations, but beneath that cheerful exterior lies a potential for pure, unhinged terror," LaMorte said in a release cited by trade publications. The movie has yet to begin production.
With the expiration of the 95-year copyright, the public is allowed to use only the initial versions of Mickey and Minnie - not the more familiar character designs.
"We will, of course, continue to protect our rights in the more modern versions of Mickey Mouse and other works that remain subject to copyright," Disney said in a statement ahead of the characters entering the public domain.
LaMorte told Variety that the producers of his film are working with a legal team so as not to run afoul of Disney, and will call their raging rodent Steamboat Willie instead of Mickey Mouse.
"We are doing our due diligence to make sure there's no question or confusion of what we're up to," he said.
- In:
- Disney
veryGood! (629)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- The Best Target Father’s Day Gifts of 2024 That’re Affordable & Will Earn You Favorite Child Status
- Scott Disick Details His Horrible Diet Before Weight Loss Journey
- Gilgo Beach suspect charged in more slayings; new evidence called a 'blueprint' to kill
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Lawyer wants to move the trial for the killing of a University of Mississippi student
- A realistic way to protect kids from social media? Find a middle ground
- Selma Blair Shares Health Update Amid Multiple Sclerosis Remission
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Maura Healey, America’s first lesbian governor, oversees raising of Pride flag at Statehouse
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Travis Kelce Reveals How He's Staying Grounded Amid Taylor Swift Relationship
- Solar Panel Prices Are Low Again. Here’s Who’s Winning and Losing
- Wisconsin warden, 8 staff members charged following probes into inmate deaths
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Gunman who tried to attack U.S. Embassy in Lebanon shot and captured by Lebanese forces
- Sparks' Cameron Brink shoots down WNBA rookies vs veterans narrative: 'It's exhausting'
- Halsey reveals dual lupus and lymphoproliferative disorder diagnoses
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
How Ariana Grande's Brother Frankie Grande Feels About Her Romance With Ethan Slater
Jelly Roll and Wife Bunnie XO Share Their Plans to Have a Baby Through IVF
Jurors in Hunter Biden’s trial hear from the clerk who sold him the gun at the center of the case
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Stock market today: Asian stocks rise after Wall Street barrels to records
Quicksand doesn’t just happen in Hollywood. It happened on a Maine beach
Woman charged with shooting two people believed to be her parents, killing one, authorities say