Current:Home > reviewsKing Charles III to return to public duties amid ongoing cancer treatment -Capitatum
King Charles III to return to public duties amid ongoing cancer treatment
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 09:53:57
Roll out the royal red carpet.
King Charles III is returning to his public duties after taking a step back from treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer.
The British monarch will visit a cancer treatment center with his wife, Queen Camilla, on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace announced in a news release. There, the couple "will meet medical specialists and patients."
"As the first anniversary of The Coronation approaches, Their Majesties remain deeply grateful for the many kindnesses and good wishes they have received from around the world throughout the joys and challenges of the past year," the palace said.
Charles will continue treatment for an undetermined amount of time, but according to the palace, "doctors are sufficiently pleased with the progress made so far that The King is now able to resume a number of public-facing duties."
Despite not having a clear timeline on when Charles can conclude treatment, the palace said his medical team is "very encouraged by the progress made so far and remain positive" about his recovery.
King Charles thanks Commonwealthfor 'thoughtful good wishes' amid cancer recovery
Will Charles return to a full schedule?
Charles' treatment center will "be the first in a number of external engagements" coming up, although his schedule won't immediately return to what it was before his diagnosis.
Outings "will remain subject to doctors' advice," but "it will not be a fullsummer program," the palace said.
Whether the pace of his duties increases is a decision for his medical team, and certain events will be "adapted where necessary to minimize any risks" to the king, the palace said.
Charles' first major event includes a state visit from Japan
Among one of the bigger anticipated events during Charles' recovery is a state visit from Japan's Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako in June.
The Japanese royalty will be hosted at Buckingham Palace nearly four years after their planned visit in 2020 was postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Buckingham Palace announced Charles' cancer diagnosis in February
Buckingham Palace confirmed on Feb. 5 that Charles was diagnosed with "a form of cancer." Before the announcement he was hospitalized and underwent a procedure for benign prostate enlargement in January, and the cancer was identified via diagnostic tests after a "separate issue of concern was noted."
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," the palace said. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual."
His daughter-in-law Princess Kate has also been diagnosed with cancer and has been taking a break from public duties.
In a video released by Kensington Palace last month, Kate, 42, called her diagnosis a "huge shock" for her family, adding that she and Prince William have done "everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family."
Kate said it has "taken time" to explain her diagnosis to her and William's children and "to reassure them that I'm going to be OK."
The palace first announced in January that Kate had been admitted to the hospital for planned abdominal surgery.
In a statement at the time, the palace said Kate's surgery was successful but that "based on the current medical advice, she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
veryGood! (191)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Partial blackout in L.A. hospital prompts evacuation of some patients
- Who takes advantage of Donald Trump’s absence and other things to watch in the Republican debate
- FedEx fires Black delivery driver who said he was attacked by White father and son
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- What does 'EOD' mean? Here's how to use the term to notify deadlines to your coworkers.
- Trump says he will surrender Thursday to Fulton County authorities
- Poland’s leader says Russia’s moving tactical nuclear weapons to Belarus, shifting regional security
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Camila Alves Dispels Getting High, Laid Back Image of Husband Matthew McConaughey
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- S&P just downgraded some big banks. Here are the 5 that are impacted.
- 1 student killed, 23 injured after school bus flips in Ohio to avoid striking minivan
- Proof Ariana Madix Isn't Pumping the Brakes on Her Relationship With New Man Daniel Wai
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- 'Ahsoka' review: Rosario Dawson's fan-friendly 'Star Wars' show lacks 'Andor' ambition
- Woman, 2 men killed in Seattle hookah lounge shooting identified
- Trump co-defendants in Fulton County case begin surrendering ahead of Friday deadline
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Biden administration spending $150M to help small forest owners benefit from selling carbon credits
'Ahsoka' review: Rosario Dawson's fan-friendly 'Star Wars' show lacks 'Andor' ambition
Michigan woman had 'no idea' she won $2M from historic Mega Millions jackpot
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Burger King gave candy to a worker who never called in sick. The internet gave $400k
MLK’s dream for America is one of the stars of the 60th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington
Yale police union flyers warning of high crime outrage school, city leaders