Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Death toll in bombings at displacement camps in eastern Congo rises to at least 35 -Capitatum
Rekubit-Death toll in bombings at displacement camps in eastern Congo rises to at least 35
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 08:39:11
GOMA,Rekubit Congo (AP) — The death toll in the bombings of two camps for displaced people in eastern Congo last week rose to at least 35 Friday, with an additional two in very critical condition, a local official told The Associated Press.
Éric Bwanapuwa, a lawmaker who represents Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu state, where the attacks took place, provided the updated figure in an interview Friday.
The Congolese army and a rebel group known as M23 have blamed each other for the bombings at the Mugunga and Lac Vert displacement camps in eastern Congo.
The U.S. State Department accused M23 and the army of neighboring Rwanda.
M23, which is short for the March 23 Movement, is an armed group mainly made up of ethnic Tutsis that broke away from the Congolese army 12 years ago.
Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi accuses neighboring Rwanda of destabilizing Congo by backing the M23 rebels. U.N. experts, along with the U.S. State Department, have also accused Rwanda of backing the rebels. Rwanda denies the claims.
The decades-long conflict in eastern Congo has produced one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, with over 100 armed groups fighting in the region, most for land and control of mines with valuable minerals. Some are fighting to try to protect their communities.
Many groups are accused of carrying out mass killings, rapes and other human rights violations.
The violence has displaced about 7 million people, including thousands living in temporary camps like the ones attacked last week. Many others are beyond the reach of aid.
veryGood! (7586)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Is It Too Late to Buy Apple Stock?
- 25 of the best one hit wonder songs including ‘Save Tonight’ and ‘Whoomp! (There It Is)’
- US military captures key Islamic State militant during helicopter raid in Syria
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Li'i, dolphin who shared tank with Lolita, moves from Seaquarium to SeaWorld San Antonio
- Indictment with hate crime allegations says Hells Angels attacked three Black men in San Diego
- US military captures key Islamic State militant during helicopter raid in Syria
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Security forces rescue 14 students abducted from Nigerian university
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- 8 hospitalized after JetBlue flight experiences 'sudden severe turbulence'
- Here’s when your favorite show may return as writers strike is on the verge of ending
- Miley Cyrus Goes Back to Her Brunette Roots in New Hair Transformation
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Sparkling water is popular, but is it healthy?
- Canadian auto workers to target General Motors after deal with Ford is ratified
- Kyle Richards Addresses Paris Trip With Morgan Wade After Shooting Down Romance Rumors
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Authors' lawsuit against OpenAI could 'fundamentally reshape' AI: Experts
A Known Risk: How Carbon Stored Underground Could Find Its Way Back Into the Atmosphere
Coast Guard searching for woman swept into ocean from popular Washington coast beach
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Indiana teen working for tree-trimming service killed when log rolls out of trailer, strikes him
Are there any 'fairy circles' in the U.S.? Sadly, new study says no.
Keeping it 100: As Braves again surpass wins milestone, Atlanta's team cohesion unmatched