Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty on 9 Sexual Misconduct Charges -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty on 9 Sexual Misconduct Charges
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:19:01
Content warning: This article discusses sexual assault.
A London jury has decided Kevin Spacey's fate in his sexual assault case.
On July 26,Charles H. Sloan the House of Cards alum was found not guilty on nine charges including seven counts of sexual assault, one count of forcing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent and one count of forcing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity.
Spacey's charges, which he had previously pleaded not guilty to, were in relation to allegations spanning from 2004 to 2013, involving four men in the United Kingdom. At the time, the Baby Driver star held the position of artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre in London.
Spacey was originally charged with 12 counts of sexual misconduct, but the number of counts was reduced last week due to a technicality in the case, according to Variety.
After the verdict, Spacey addressed reporters outside of the courtroom.
"I imagine that many of you can understand that there's a lot for me to process after what just happened today," he said in a video obtained by NBC News. "I would like to say that I'm enormously grateful to the jury for having taken the time to examine all of the evidence and all of the facts carefully before they reached their decision, and I am humbled by the outcome today."
During the trial, according to the outlet, prosecutor Christine Agnew called the American Beauty star a "sexual bully," accusing him of aggressively grabbing men by the crotch and "making others feel powerless and uncomfortable.
"Spacey himself denied the allegations when he took the stand in mid-July, stating in part, "If I am interested in somebody the first thing I want them to do is feel comfortable."
This isn't the first bout of legal trouble the Heartburn actor has faced. In 2017, Netflix severed ties with the actor amid allegations of sexual assault and misconduct surfacing against him.
The following year, the Oscar winner was hit with a felony charge of indecent assault and battery in Massachusetts, to which he pleaded not guilty. The charge was later dropped due to the "unavailability of the complaining witness," according to court documents obtained by E! News at the time.
In addition to facing criminal proceedings, he was also hit with a lawsuit from Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp, who filed a $40 million lawsuit alleging Spacey sexually assaulted him in 1986 when the Rent star was 14 years old. A New York jury found Spacey not liable for battery in October 2022.
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (17)
Related
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Nearly 100-year-old lookout tower destroyed in California's Line Fire
- Ranking NFL's nine 2-0 teams by legitimacy: Who's actually a contender?
- Raven-Symoné Says Demi Lovato Was Not the Nicest on Sonny with a Chance—But Doesn't Hold It Against Her
- Bodycam footage shows high
- WNBA MVP odds: Favorites to win 2024 Most Valuable Player award
- 'As fragile as a child': South Carolina death row inmate's letters show haunted man
- A Trump Debate Comment About German Energy Policy Leaves Germans Perplexed
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Video shows masked robbers plunging through ceiling to steal $150,000 from Atlanta business
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Testimony begins in trial for ex-sergeant charged in killing of Virginia shoplifting suspect
- Bryce Young needs to escape Panthers to have any shot at reviving NFL career
- Connecticut aquarium pays over $12K to settle beluga care investigation
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Ex-CIA officer gets 30 years in prison for drugging, sexually abusing dozens of women
- Senator’s son to change plea in 2023 crash that killed North Dakota deputy
- A news site that covers Haitian-Americans is facing harassment over its post-debate coverage of Ohio
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Jurors watch video of EMTs failing to treat Tyre Nichols after he was beaten
Connecticut aquarium pays over $12K to settle beluga care investigation
Ex-CIA officer gets 30 years in prison for drugging, sexually abusing dozens of women
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Hunter Biden’s sentencing on federal firearms charges delayed until December
Zachary Quinto steps into some giant-sized doctor’s shoes in NBC’s ‘Brilliant Minds’
Pharrell Williams slammed as 'out of touch' after saying he doesn't 'do politics'