Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Racist text messages referencing slavery raise alarms in multiple states and prompt investigations -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Racist text messages referencing slavery raise alarms in multiple states and prompt investigations
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 10:24:30
WASHINGTON (AP) — Racist text messages invoking slavery raised alarm across the country this week after they were sent to Black men,SafeX Pro Exchange women and students, including middle schoolers, prompting inquiries by the FBI and other agencies.
The messages, sent anonymously, were reported in several states, including New York, Alabama, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. They generally used a similar tone but varied in wording.
Some instructed the recipient to show up at an address at a particular time “with your belongings,” while others didn’t include a location. Some of them mentioned the incoming presidential administration.
It wasn’t yet clear who was behind the messages and there was no comprehensive list of where they were sent, but high school and college students were among the recipients.
The FBI said it was in touch with the Justice Department on the messages, and the Federal Communications Commission said it was investigating the texts “alongside federal and state law enforcement.” The Ohio Attorney General’s office also said it was looking into the matter.
Tasha Dunham of Lodi, California, said her 16-year-old daughter showed her one of the messages Wednesday evening before her basketball practice.
The text not only used her daughter’s name, but it directed her to report to a “plantation” in North Carolina, where Dunham said they’ve never lived. When they looked up the address, it was the location of a museum.
“It was very disturbing,” Dunham said. “Everybody’s just trying to figure out what does this all mean for me? So, I definitely had a lot of fear and concern.”
Her daughter initially thought it was a prank, but emotions are high following Tuesday’s presidential election. Dunham and her family thought it could be more nefarious and reported it to local law enforcement.
“I wasn’t in slavery. My mother wasn’t in slavery. But we’re a couple of generations away. So, when you think about how brutal and awful slavery was for our people, it’s awful and concerning,” Dunham said.
About six middle school students in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, received the messages too, said Megan Shafer, acting superintendent of the Lower Merion School District.
“The racist nature of these text messages is extremely disturbing, made even more so by the fact that children have been targeted,” she wrote in a letter to parents.
Students at some major universities, including Clemson in South Carolina and the University of Alabama, said they received the messages. The Clemson Police Department said in a statement that it been notified of the “deplorable racially motivated text and email messages” and encouraged anyone who received one to report it.
Fisk University, a historically Black university in Nashville, Tennessee, issued a statement calling the messages that targeted some of its students “deeply unsettling.” It urged calm and assured students that the texts likely were from bots or malicious actors with “no real intentions or credibility.”
Nick Ludlum, a senior vice president for the wireless industry trade group CTIA, said “wireless providers are aware of these threatening spam messages and are aggressively working to block them and the numbers that they are coming from.”
David Brody, director of the Digital Justice Initiative at The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said that they aren’t sure who is behind the messages but estimated they had been sent to more than 10 states, including most Southern states, Maryland, Oklahoma and even the District of Columbia. The district’s Metropolitan Police force said in a statement that its intelligence unit was investigating the origins of the message.
Brody said a number of civil rights laws can be applied to hate-related incidents. The leaders of several other civil rights organizations condemned the messages, including Margaret Huang, president and CEO of the Southern Poverty Law Center, who said, “Hate speech has no place in the South or our nation.”
“The threat — and the mention of slavery in 2024 — is not only deeply disturbing, but perpetuates a legacy of evil that dates back to before the Jim Crow era, and now seeks to prevent Black Americans from enjoying the same freedom to pursue life, liberty, and happiness,” said NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson. “These actions are not normal. And we refuse to let them be normalized.”
___
The Associated Press receives support from several private foundations to enhance its explanatory coverage of elections and democracy. See more about AP’s democracy initiative here. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (64958)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- South Koreans hold subdued Halloween celebrations a year after party crush killed about 160 people
- EU summit turns its eyes away from Ukraine despite a commitment to stay the course with Zelenskyy
- Probe finds ‘serious failings’ in way British politician Nigel Farage had his bank account closed
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo on Chris 'Mad Dog' Russo retiring: 'A deal's a deal'
- The Best TikTok-Famous Fragrances on PerfumeTok That are Actually Worth the Money
- A 4-year-old fatally shot his little brother in Minnesota. The gun owner has been criminally charged
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- This week on Sunday Morning (October 29)
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Israeli military says warplanes are bombing Hamas tunnels in Gaza, signaling new stage in offensive
- Huntington Mayor Steve Williams files paperwork to raise money for West Virginia governor’s race
- García’s HR in 11th, Seager’s tying shot in 9th rally Rangers past D-backs 6-5 in Series opener
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Biden calls for GOP help on gun violence, praises police for work in Maine shooting spree
- About 30 children were taken hostage by Hamas militants. Their families wait in agony
- U.S. strikes Iranian-backed militias in eastern Syria to retaliate for attacks on U.S. troops
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
This week on Sunday Morning (October 29)
Shooting on I-190 in Buffalo leaves 1 dead, 2 injured
Serbian police detain 6 people after deadly shooting between migrants near Hungary border
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
All you can eat economics
Chinese fighter pilot harasses U.S. B-52 over South China Sea, Pentagon says
Democratic Rep. Jared Golden reverses course, now in favor of assault weapons ban after Maine mass shootings