Current:Home > FinanceEx-worker’s lawsuit alleges music mogul L.A. Reid sexually assaulted her in 2001 -Capitatum
Ex-worker’s lawsuit alleges music mogul L.A. Reid sexually assaulted her in 2001
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:02:01
NEW YORK (AP) — Antonio “L.A.” Reid, the Grammy-winning music executive who influenced the career of artists including Pink, Usher and Mariah Carey, was sued by a former music executive who says he sexually assaulted her and derailed her career.
Drew Dixon filed the lawsuit Wednesday in a New York federal court. Dixon, who worked for Reid when he was chief executive of Arista Records, alleges that Reid sexually assaulted her twice in 2001 and later cut her budget and sidelined artists when she rebuffed his continuing advances.
Dixon left Arista in 2002 and contends that her “meteoric trajectory” in the music business was cut short by Reid’s harassment.
“This litigation is not only about the horrific physical assaults that Ms. Dixon had to endure but it is also about the irreparable damage done to the rare and blossoming career of an extraordinary talent,” the lawsuit said.
Dixon is seeking unspecified damages.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly.
Messages left for Joel Katz, an attorney who represented Reid when Dixon first made her allegations public in 2017, weren’t immediately returned Wednesday night.
The Associated Press wasn’t immediately able to find a publicist, agent, or other contact number for Reid. The New York Times, which first reported the news of the lawsuit, said Reid didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment Wednesday.
Dixon sued under New York state’s Adult Survivors Act, passed last year, which allows alleged victims of sexual abuse a one-year window to sue even if the original statute of limitations has passed. The deadline is Nov. 24.
In 2017, Reid left his position as CEO of Epic Records after a former female assistant accused him of sexual harassment.
Reid told The New York Times at the time: “I’m proud of my track record promoting, supporting and uplifting women at every company I’ve ever run. That notwithstanding, if I have ever said anything capable of being misinterpreted, I apologize unreservedly.”
veryGood! (42482)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Migrant mothers arriving in New York find support, hope — and lots of challenges
- Kansas governor announces Juneteenth will be observed as a state holiday
- Former Dodgers, Padres star Steve Garvey enters US Senate race in California
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Afghanistan earthquake death toll climbs amid frantic search and rescue efforts in Herat province
- Who is KSI? YouTuber-turned-boxer is also a musician, entrepreneur and Logan Paul friend
- Former Cincinnati councilman sentenced to 16 months in federal corruption case
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Who is KSI? YouTuber-turned-boxer is also a musician, entrepreneur and Logan Paul friend
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Who is KSI? YouTuber-turned-boxer is also a musician, entrepreneur and Logan Paul friend
- Arizona Diamondbacks silence the LA Dodgers again, continuing their stunning postseason
- The former chairman of the Arkansas State Medical Board has been arrested for Medicaid fraud
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- 'The Voice': Reba McEntire loses 4-chair singer after sabotaging John Legend with block
- ‘Document dump’ by Flint water prosecutors leads to contempt finding
- Grand and contentious, the world's largest Hindu temple is opening in New Jersey
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Study shows how Americans feel about changing their last name after marriage
AP PHOTOS: Soldiers mobilize, mourners bury the dead as battles rage in Israeli-Palestinian war
Major Navigator CO2 pipeline project is on hold while the company reevaluates the route in 5 states
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
104-year-old Chicago woman dies days after making a skydive that could put her in the record books
Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas Reach Temporary Child Custody Agreement Amid Legal Battle
Domino's is offering free medium pizzas with its new emergency program. How to join