Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 01:00:37
TOKYO (AP) — The Rekubit Exchangetsunami-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant began its third release of treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea Thursday after Japanese officials said the two earlier releases ended smoothly.
The plant operator discharged 7,800 tons of treated water in each of the first two batches and plans to release the same amount in the current batch through Nov. 20.
Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings said its workers activated the first of the two pumps to dilute the treated water with large amounts of seawater, gradually sending the mixture into the Pacific Ocean through an undersea tunnel for an offshore release.
The plant began the first wastewater release in August and will continue to do so for decades. About 1.34 million tons of radioactive wastewater is stored in about 1,000 tanks at the plant. It has accumulated since the plant was crippled by the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan in 2011.
TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks are nearly full and the plan needs to be decommissioned.
The wastewater discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people staged protests. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.
Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban, while the central and local governments have led a campaign to eat fish and support Fukushima, now joined by many consumers.
The water is treated to remove as much radioactivity as possible then greatly diluted with seawater before it is released. TEPCO and the government say the process is safe, but some scientists say the continuing release is unprecedented and should be monitored closely.
So far, results of marine samplings by TEPCO and the government have detected tritium, which they say is inseparable by existing technology, at levels far smaller than the World Health Organization’s standard for drinking water.
In a recent setback, two plant workers were splashed with radioactive waste while cleaning piping at the water treatment facility and were hospitalized for exposure.
The International Atomic Energy Agency has concluded that if the release is carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health. IAEA mission officials said last month they were reassured by the smooth operation so far.
___
Follow AP’s Asia-Pacific coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/asia-pacific
veryGood! (4535)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Kate Hudson Details “Wonderfully Passionate” Marriage to Ex Chris Robinson
- Head of FEMA tours deadly storm damage in Houston area as more residents get power back
- Cupshe’s Memorial Day Sale Is Here: Score up to 85% off Summer-Ready Swimsuits, Coverups & More
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- A Canadian serial killer who brought victims to his pig farm is hospitalized after a prison assault
- Isabella Strahan Details Loss of Appetite Amid 3rd Round of Chemotherapy
- Archaeologists search English crash site of World War II bomber for remains of lost American pilot
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Politically motivated crimes in Germany reached their highest level in 2023 since tracking began
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Black bear found with all four paws cut off, stolen in northern California
- As Trump Media reported net loss of more than $320 million, share prices fell 13%
- Nestle to launch food products that cater to Wegovy and Ozempic users
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- A Canadian serial killer who brought victims to his pig farm is hospitalized after a prison assault
- Incognito Market founder arrested at JFK airport, accused of selling $100 million of illegal drugs on the dark web
- Lauryn Hill’s classic ‘Miseducation’ album tops Apple Music’s list of best albums of all time
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
As Trump Media reported net loss of more than $320 million, share prices fell 13%
Nestlé to debut Vital Pursuit healthy food brand for Ozempic, Wegovy medication users
Using AI, Mastercard expects to find compromised cards quicker, before they get used by criminals
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
NHL conference finals begin: How to watch New York Rangers vs Florida Panthers on Wednesday
Miss USA resignations: Can nondisclosure agreements be used to silence people?
Owner of Nepal’s largest media organization arrested over citizenship card issue