Current:Home > MyRubio says Russian jet collision with U.S. drone was "deliberate effort" and "direct test" of Biden administration -Capitatum
Rubio says Russian jet collision with U.S. drone was "deliberate effort" and "direct test" of Biden administration
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 11:06:12
Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said Thursday that the recent Russian jet collision with a U.S. drone was a "deliberate effort" by Russia, which is testing boundaries with the United States.
"This wasn't some accident. It wasn't some harassment effort that, you know, went awry," Rubio said on "CBS Mornings."
"This is a direct test of the Biden administration," he said. "They're trying to see what the limits are, and it's a message of their displeasure. But more importantly, I think it's a test to see if we'll respond to it, if we'll continue to fly or if this causes us not to fly in that area anymore."
Rubio said the U.S. should not be cowed and should continue to send aircraft into the area.
"I think our response would be to fly more of these in that area and potentially have them escorted by U.S. fighter jets, who are manned and have the capability to respond," Rubio said, adding that flying unmanned drones for surveillance and reconnaissance purposes is "totally" in accordance with international law. "I think we should fly more of them, we shouldn't stop flying them and in many cases we should be prepared to scramble jets and respond if they are threatened by Russian aircraft."
Video of the incident, released Thursday morning, shows an unmanned $30 million MQ-9 "Reaper" drone flying over the Black Sea, close to Ukraine. The drone was conducting an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission in international airspace above international waters, U.S. officials said earlier this week. The video, released by the Pentagon, shows a fighter jet pass at close range before making another pass during which it allegedly hit the drone's propeller.
The Russian jet "dumped fuel upon and struck the propeller of the MQ-9, causing U.S. forces to have to bring the MQ-9 down in international waters," the Air Force said in a statement accompanying the video.
The drone was crashed into the Black Sea by the U.S. and sensitive data was wiped from the device, according to U.S. officials. Rubio said that while the airspace and the waters it is above are considered international, Russia had declared the airspace restricted.
Rubio also addressed comments from his state's governor, Republican Ron DeSantis, who recently called the war between Russia and Ukraine a "territorial dispute" and not one of the United States' "vital national interests."
The U.S. has to continue to stand with Ukraine, Rubio said, to maintain its position on the global stage.
"Ukraine is not the most important national security issue facing America, but it's not unimportant. There is a vital interest involved here, and one of them is that we haven't just invested money in Ukraine, we've invested our prestige and our credibility," Rubio said. "The argument that the Chinese are making is that the West is in terminal decline, the United States is a rapidly-declining, once-great superpower, and they're not going to do anything, they're not going to take on China."
"If we were to cut and run now, if we were to walk away from our commitment to Ukraine, the Chinese would point to that and say to our allies, 'How are you going to count on the United States? They're not going to be there. They abandoned Afghanistan chaotically and they ... couldn't sustain an effort in Ukraine against Russia,'" Rubio continued.
Instead, he said, the United States should continue to provide Ukraine with necessary aid. It's also important, Rubio said, to get "rich countries like Germany to do more" and "do their part" to aid Ukraine, and make sure no money is misspent.
"I don't think our interest there is zero, and so our effort there should not be zero either," Rubio said.
- In:
- Biden Administration
- War
- Marco Rubio
- Ukraine
- Politics
- Russia
- Black Sea
- Drone
Kerry Breen is a news editor and reporter for CBS News. Her reporting focuses on current events, breaking news and substance use.
veryGood! (783)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Eminem's daughter Hailie Jade reveals pregnancy in 'Temporary' music video
- Travis and Jason Kelce’s Mom Donna Kelce Stood “Still” in Marriage to Ed Kelce Before Divorce
- 'They didn't leave:' ER staff worked for days on end to help Helene victims
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- One disaster to another: Family of Ukrainian refugees among the missing in NC
- South Carolina fire chief, volunteer firefighter killed after a tree fell on their truck during Helene
- Greening of Antarctica is Another Sign of Significant Climate Shift on the Frozen Continent
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Nikki Garcia's Sister Brie Garcia Sends Message to Trauma Victims After Alleged Artem Chigvintsev Fight
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- Jennifer Hudson gushes about Common and chats with him about marriage: 'You are my joy'
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Daughter Sunday Rose Has the Most Unique Accent of All
- Greening of Antarctica is Another Sign of Significant Climate Shift on the Frozen Continent
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- What to watch: We're caught in a bad romance
- Luke Bryan says Beyoncé should 'come into our world' and 'high-five us' after CMAs snub
- On the road: Plenty of NBA teams mixing the grind of training camp with resort life
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Kim Kardashian calls to free Erik and Lyle Menendez after brutal 1996 killings of parents
School of Rock Costars Caitlin Hale and Angelo Massagli Hint at Engagement
This couple’s divided on politics, but glued together by love
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Luke Bryan says Beyoncé should 'come into our world' and 'high-five us' after CMAs snub
Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire
Nikki Garcia Gets Restraining Order Against Ex Artem Chigvintsev After Alleged Fight