Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-San Francisco police to give update on fatal shooting of driver who crashed into Chinese Consulate -Capitatum
NovaQuant-San Francisco police to give update on fatal shooting of driver who crashed into Chinese Consulate
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 03:28:06
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco police are NovaQuantset to provide new details Thursday on their fatal shooting of a man who crashed a car into the Chinese Consulate earlier this month, including releasing new video from the incident.
Police scheduled a virtual town hall in the afternoon to update people on the investigation into the Oct. 9 crash that ended with the death of Zhanyuan Yang. San Francisco police typically host such town halls within 10 days of fatal police shootings.
Yang, a 31-year-old San Francisco resident, rammed a car into the visa office of the consulate, which is in a residential neighborhood next to a major street. Investigators so far haven’t released a possible motive or provided details of the shooting, including whether Yang had a weapon.
Sergii Molchanov was in line waiting for his turn to submit his visa documents when he said the blue Honda sedan barreled in through the main doors at full speed, barely missing him.
Molchanov told The Associated Press that the car struck a wall and the driver was bleeding from his head as he got out of the car, yelling about the C.C.P., an abbreviation for the Chinese Communist Party
Another witness, Tony Xin, told KTVU-TV that the driver was holding two knives when he exited the car and began arguing with security guards.
Police arrived less than a minute later, he said.
The crash was condemned by the Chinese government and by the White House. It took place as San Francisco prepared to host next month’s Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, a gathering of world leaders from Pacific Rim nations.
The San Francisco consulate has been targeted a number of times before. Among the most serious was a fire set by a Chinese man on New Year’s Day 2014 at the main entrance. It charred a section of the outside of the building.
The man, who was living in the San Francisco Bay Area, told authorities he was driven by voices he was hearing. He was sentenced to nearly three years in prison.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Proof Gabourey Sidibe’s 5-Month-Old Twin Babies Are Growing “So Big So Fast”
- Judge rejects computer repairman’s defamation claims over reports on Hunter Biden laptop
- Selena Gomez Shares Honest Reaction to Her Billionaire Status
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Reporter Taylor Lorenz exits Washington Post after investigation into Instagram post
- Asheville, North Carolina, officials warn water system could take weeks to repair
- Will anyone hit 74 homers? Even Aaron Judge thinks MLB season record is ‘a little untouchable’
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Endearing Behind-the-Scenes Secrets About Bluey You'll Love For Real Life
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Closing arguments expected in trial of 3 former Memphis officers charged in Tyre Nichols’ death
- Hurricane Helene Lays Bare the Growing Threat of Inland Flooding
- College football at one month: Alabama, Florida State lead surprises and disappointments
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Nicole Kidman's NSFW Movie Babygirl Is Giving 50 Shades of Grey—But With a Twist
- Watchdog blasts DEA for not reporting waterboarding, torture by Latin American partners
- Details from New Mexico’s lawsuit against Snap show site failed to act on reports of sextortion
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Alabama now top seed, Kansas State rejoins College Football Playoff bracket projection
Walz misleadingly claims to have been in Hong Kong during period tied to Tiananmen Square massacre
California sues Catholic hospital for denying emergency abortion
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Bowl projections: College football Week 5 brings change to playoff field
Sean Diddy Combs Accused of 120 New Sexual Assault Cases
'McNeal' review: Robert Downey Jr.’s new Broadway play is an endurance test