Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Effort to ID thousands of bones found in Indiana pushes late businessman’s presumed victims to 13 -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Effort to ID thousands of bones found in Indiana pushes late businessman’s presumed victims to 13
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:56:26
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A renewed effort to identify thousands of bones found at the Indiana estate of a long-deceased businessman suspected in a string of killings has pushed the number of his presumed victims to 13,Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center a coroner said Tuesday.
Four new DNA profiles have been obtained through the push to identify the remains and they will be sent to the FBI for a genetic genealogy analysis to hopefully identify them, said Hamilton County Coroner Jeff Jellison.
Nine men were previously identified as presumed victims of Herb Baumeister, who killed himself in Canada in July 1996 as investigators sought to question him after about 10,000 charred bones and bone fragments were found at his sprawling estate, Fox Hollow Farm.
Jellison said investigators believe the bones and fragments could represent the remains of at least 25 people.
“We know that we have at this point 13 victims found on the Fox Hollow Farm property,” Jellison said Tuesday.
Investigators believe Baumeister, a married father of three who frequented gay bars, lured men to his home and killed them at his estate in Westfield, about 16 miles (26 kilometers) north of Indianapolis.
In 2022, Jellison launched a renewed effort to match Baumeister’s other potential victims to the thousands of charred, crushed bones and fragments that authorities found on his estate in the 1990s and then placed into storage.
Jellison continues to ask relatives of young men who vanished between the mid-1980s and the mid-1990s to submit DNA samples for the new identification effort.
“That is the most efficient way that we’ll be able to identify these remains,” he said.
So far, that effort has identified three men based on DNA extracted from the bones. Two of those turned out to be among eight men identified in the 1990s as potential victims of Baumeister: Jeffrey A. Jones and Manuel Resendez.
Jones was 31 and Resendez, 34, when they were reported missing in 1993. Jones’ remains were identified last week through a forensic genetic genealogy analysis performed by the FBI and Jellison’s office, the coroner said Tuesday. Resendez’s remains were identified using the same technique in January.
Last October, with the help of a DNA sample provided by his mother, other bone fragments were confirmed as those of 27-year-old Allen Livingston, also reported missing in 1993. At that time, Livingston’s identification made him the ninth presumed victim identified by investigators.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Roberto Clemente's sons sued for allegedly selling rights to MLB great's life story to multiple parties
- Key Republican calls for ‘generational’ increase in defense spending to counter US adversaries
- The love in Bill Walton's voice when speaking about his four sons was unforgettable
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Early results in South Africa’s election put ruling ANC below 50% and short of a majority
- Usher, Victoria Monét will receive prestigious awards from music industry group ASCAP
- Where Alexander “A.E.” Edwards and Travis Scott Stand After Altercation in Cannes
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Gift registries after divorce offer a new way to support loved ones
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Missile attacks damage a ship in the Red Sea off Yemen’s coast near previous Houthi rebel assaults
- US pledges $135 million in aid to Western-leaning Moldova to counter Russian influence
- Feds take down one of world's largest malicious botnets and arrest its administrator
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Haiti's transitional council names Garry Conille as new prime minister as country remains under siege by gangs
- Blinken assails Russian misinformation after hinting US may allow Ukraine to strike inside Russia
- Massive international police operation takes down ransomware networks, arrests 4 suspects
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Shares When She Knew Former Fiancé Ken Urker Was The One
Chiefs' Isaiah Buggs facing two second-degree animal cruelty misdemeanors, per reports
The Ultimatum and Ultimatum: Queer Love Both Returning for New Seasons: Say Yes to Details
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
From 'Bring It On' to 'Backspot,' these cheerleader movies are at the top of the pyramid
Egypt and China deepen cooperation during el-Sissi’s visit to Beijing
Ukraine army head says Russia augmenting its troops in critical Kharkiv region