Current:Home > ScamsJudge denies Trump’s request to hold Jack Smith in contempt in federal 2020 election case -Capitatum
Judge denies Trump’s request to hold Jack Smith in contempt in federal 2020 election case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:31:06
WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal judge overseeing the 2020 election interference case against Donald Trump on Thursday rejected his lawyers’ bid to hold special counsel Jack Smith’s team in contempt for actions prosecutors took after the judge put the case on hold. But the judge said no further “substantive” court filings should be submitted without permission.
The former president’s lawyers had accused prosecutors of “outrageous conduct” for turning over to the defense thousands of pages of evidence and filing a motion after the judge paused the case while Trump appeals his presidential immunity claim. The defense said prosecutors were violating a court order that put the case on hold so Trump can pursue his claim in higher courts.
U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan said in her ruling Thursday that her Dec. 13 order pausing the case did not “clearly and unambiguously” prohibit those actions by Smith’s team. However, she agreed with Trump to bar all parties in the case from filing “any further substantive pretrial motions” without first seeking permission from the court until the pause is lifted.
At issue was the order from Chutkan after Trump appealed to a higher court an earlier ruling that rejected his claims that he is immune from prosecution. In her order, Chutkan, who was appointed by President Barack Obama, said that Trump’s appeal “automatically stays any further proceedings that would move this case towards trial or impose additional burdens of litigation” on Trump.
The trial is currently scheduled to begin March 4 in Washington’s federal court, but is likely to be postponed as Trump’s immunity claim winds through higher courts. A three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in Washington heard arguments on the issue last week and could issue its ruling any day.
Prosecutors acknowledged in a filing late last month that the case had been paused, but they said the government would “continue to meet its own deadlines as previously determined” by the court “to promote the prompt resumption of the pretrial schedule” if and when the case returns to Chutkan.
The case accusing Trump of conspiring to overturn his 2020 election loss to President Joe Biden is one of four criminal cases the Republican is facing as he vies to return to the White House this year.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Georgia State University is planning a $107M remake of downtown Atlanta
- FBI offers up to $25,000 reward for information about suspect behind Northwest ballot box fires
- PSA: Coach Outlet Has Stocking Stuffers, Gifts Under $100 & More for the Holidays RN (up to 60% Off)
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Walmart Planned to Remove Oven Before 19-Year-Old Employee's Death
- Louisiana mom arrested for making false kidnapping report after 'disagreement' with son
- 'Full House' star Dave Coulier diagnosed with stage 3 cancer
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Glen Powell responds to rumor that he could replace Tom Cruise in 'Mission: Impossible'
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Nicole Kidman Reveals the Surprising Reason for Starring in NSFW Movie Babygirl
- ‘COP Fatigue’: Experts Warn That Size and Spectacle of Global Climate Summit Is Hindering Progress
- Infowars auction could determine whether Alex Jones is kicked off its platforms
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Jana Kramer’s Ex Mike Caussin Shares Resentment Over Her Child Support Payments
- Mega Millions winning numbers for November 12 drawing: Jackpot rises to $361 million
- Get $103 Worth of Tatcha Skincare for $43.98 + 70% Off Flash Deals on Elemis, Josie Maran & More
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
FBI offers up to $25,000 reward for information about suspect behind Northwest ballot box fires
How to protect your Social Security number from the Dark Web
Flurry of contract deals come as railroads, unions see Trump’s election looming over talks
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Daniele Rustioni to become Metropolitan Opera’s principal guest conductor
Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
Federal judge orders Oakland airport to stop using ‘San Francisco’ in name amid lawsuit