Current:Home > Contact11 stranded fishermen rescued after week without food or water, 8 feared dead at sea after powerful cyclone hits Australia -Capitatum
11 stranded fishermen rescued after week without food or water, 8 feared dead at sea after powerful cyclone hits Australia
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:18:13
Eight Indonesian fishermen are feared drowned and another 11 have been rescued after spending almost a week without food or water on a barren island off the northwest Australian coast in the wake of a powerful tropical cyclone, authorities said Wednesday.
Two primitive wooden Indonesian fishing boats were caught in the path of Cyclone Ilsa, which made landfall Friday as Australia's most powerful storm in eight years, with winds gusting at an apparent record of 180 miles per hour.
One of the boats, Putri Jaya, sank in "extreme weather conditions" early on April 12 while Ilsa was gathering strength over the Indian Ocean and heading toward the coast, Australian Maritime Safety Authority said in a statement, citing survivors.
The other boat, Express 1, ran aground with 10 men aboard around the same time on Bedwell Island, a sandy outcrop some 200 miles west of the Australian coastal tourist town of Broome, the authority said. The only known survivor from the Putri Jaya spent 30 hours floating in the water tied to a fuel can for buoyancy before swimming to the same island, officials said.
The authority said the 11 survivors had spent for six days on the island without food and water before being rescued on Monday night.
The authority clarified in a later statement that the Putri Jaya survivor reached the island a day later than the rest.
The fishermen live in the East Nusa Tenggara province in the eastern part of the Indonesian archipelago.
The survivors were spotted Monday by the Australian Border Force, which patrols Australia's northern approaches for smuggling and other illegal activity, from a plane on a routine surveillance mission. A Broome-based rescue helicopter was deployed and winched all 11 aboard in failing light.
Gordon Watt, a manager at helicopter provider PHI Aviation, said the rescue helicopter crew had been unable to land on the sand.
"They had to conduct winch recoveries which, in itself, is a challenging task," Watt said. "The time of day meant that nightfall was upon the crew during the rescue, so they had to transition to using night vision goggles."
The survivors were taken to Broome Hospital where Border Force said in a statement they were reported to "be in good health despite their ordeal."
"This incident highlights the dangers of undertaking journeys in small boats unsuited to rough seas and adverse weather events, both of which are common in Australia's northern waters," the statement said.
The survivors have been flown from Broome to the northern city of Darwin, from where they will be flown back to Indonesia, the statement said.
Indonesia's consulate in Darwin requested to meet the fishermen and provide them with assistance, Indonesia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement. The consulate would facilitate their repatriation, the statement said, thanking Australian agencies for their help.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority, which manages searches and rescues in Australian waters, said there was no ongoing search for further survivors.
The missing Indonesian fishermen are expected to be the only fatalities from Ilsa, which was a maximum Category 5 cyclone when it crossed the Pilbara region coast of Western Australia state southwest of Broome.
- In:
- Rescue
- Australia
- Indonesia
veryGood! (99)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 'Our fallen cowgirl': 2024 Miss Teen Rodeo Kansas dies in car crash, teammates injured
- Shop Amazon's October Prime Day 2024 Best Kitchen Deals & Save Up to 78% on KitchenAid, Ninja & More
- Love Is Blind's Leo and Brittany Reveal Reason They Called Off Engagement
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Education Pioneer Wealth Society: Empowering the Future, Together with Education Pioneers
- LA County voters face huge decision on homeless services funding
- South Carolina death row inmate told to choose between execution methods
- Average rate on 30
- Is Chris Pine Returning for Princess Diaries 3? He Says...
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- These October Prime Day Deals 2024 Have Prices Better Than Black Friday & Are up to 90% Off
- Proof Taylor Swift Is a Member of Travis Kelce's Squad With His Friends
- South Carolina death row inmate told to choose between execution methods
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- How AP VoteCast works, and how it’s different from an exit poll
- Not everything will run perfectly on Election Day. Still, US elections are remarkably reliable
- Allyson Felix launches women-focused sports management firm
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Law letting Tennessee attorney general argue certain capital cases is constitutional, court rules
Jets' head coach candidates after Robert Saleh firing: Bill Belichick or first-time hire?
Lawsuit says Virginia is illegally purging legitimate voters off the rolls
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
You Might've Missed How Pregnant Brittany Mahomes Channeled Britney Spears for NFL Game
Allyson Felix launches women-focused sports management firm
Rookie Drake Maye will be new starting quarterback for Patriots, per report