Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Australian Parliament rushes through laws that could see detention of freed dangerous migrants -Capitatum
Chainkeen|Australian Parliament rushes through laws that could see detention of freed dangerous migrants
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-05 20:11:06
CANBERRA,Chainkeen Australia (AP) — The Australian government Wednesday rushed legislation through Parliament that could place behind bars some migrants who were freed after the High Court ruled their indefinite detention was unconstitutional.
The House of Representatives voted 68 to 59 on Wednesday night to create so-called community safety orders. The vote came a day after the Senate passed the same legislation.
Immigration Minister Andrew Giles will now be able to apply to a judge to imprison for up to three years migrants with criminal records for violent or sexual offenses because they pose an unacceptable risk to the public.
“We’ve already begun preparations to ensure that we can do all that we can as quickly as we can,” Giles said before the draft legislation became law.
“The preventative detention regime would allow for the court to detain the worst of the worst offenders,” he added.
Giles declined to say how many of 148 migrants freed starting last month who for various reasons can’t be deported might be detained under community safety orders.
Federal law had previously only allowed preventative detention for extremists convicted of terrorism offenses. But state laws allow certain rapists and violent criminals to be detained after their sentences expire.
Amnesty International refugee rights adviser Graham Thom said earlier Wednesday he was alarmed that the government was rushing through the legislation without appropriate parliamentary scrutiny.
“A sensible conversation is needed when balancing community safety with personal liberty. This is not a time for knee jerk responses,” he said.
Adam Bandt, leader of the Greens party, said the laws created a harsher justice system for people are not Australian citizens.
“Some of them have committed heinous crimes, many of them haven’t,” Bandt said, referring to the freed migrants.
The High Court on Nov. 8 ruled the indefinite detention of a stateless Myanmar Rohingya man who had been convicted of raping a 10-year-old boy was unconstitutional.
Government lawyers say the judges left open the option for such migrants to be detained if they pose a public risk. That decision would be made by a judge rather than a government minister.
The ruling said the government could no longer indefinitely detain foreigners who had been refused Australian visas, but could not be deported to their homelands and no third country would accept them.
Most of the 148 who have been released on the basis of the High Court ruling have been ordered to wear ankle tracking bracelets and to stay home during nightly curfews.
Police announced on Wednesday a fourth recently freed migrant had been arrested. The man had been charged with breaking his curfew and stealing luggage from Melbourne’s airport.
Another migrant with a criminal record for violent sexual assault was charged with the indecent assault of a woman. Another was charged with breaching his reporting obligations as a registered sex offender, and a fourth man was charged with drug possession.
veryGood! (861)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Saoirse Ronan Shares Rare Insight Into Relationship With Husband Jack Lowden
- Toilet paper makers say US port strike isn’t causing shortages
- California collects millions in stolen wages, but can’t find many workers to pay them
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- The Country’s Second-Largest Coal Plant May Get a Three-Year Reprieve From Retirement. Why?
- Soul-searching and regret over unheeded warnings follow Helene’s destruction
- A Michigan man is charged with killing and dismembering a janitor he met on the Grindr dating app
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- UNC relocates intrasquad scrimmage from Cherokee after Hurricane Helene’s impact to region
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- South Korea adoptees endure emotional, sometimes devastating searches for their birth families
- Some California stem cell clinics use unproven therapies. A new court ruling cracks down
- Hawaii nurses union calls new contract a step in the right direction
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Week 5 NFL fantasy running back rankings: Top RB streamers, starts
- Toilet paper not expected to see direct impacts from port strike: 'People need to calm down'
- College sports ‘fraternity’ jumping in to help athletes from schools impacted by Hurricane Helene
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Helene’s powerful storm surge killed 12 near Tampa. They didn’t have to die
Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire
Orioles wonder what's next after another playoff flop against Royals in wild-card series
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
This couple’s divided on politics, but glued together by love
A massive strike at U.S. East and Gulf Coast ports has ended | The Excerpt
Toilet paper makers say US port strike isn’t causing shortages