Current:Home > reviewsEx-guard at NYC federal building pleads guilty in sex assault of asylum seeker -Capitatum
Ex-guard at NYC federal building pleads guilty in sex assault of asylum seeker
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 20:47:18
NEW YORK (AP) — A former security guard at a federal building in New York City where the FBI has its offices pleaded guilty Wednesday to a federal charge related to the sexual assault of an asylum seeker.
Jimmy Solano-Arias, 42, of the Bronx, entered the plea in Manhattan federal court to making a false statement to the FBI about the sexual assault, authorities said.
As part of his plea deal, he agreed that federal sentencing guidelines recommend the maximum five-year prison term and that his scheduled July 9 sentencing should proceed under sentencing calculations made as if he had also been convicted of a charge of sexually abusing a vulnerable victim.
Without the plea deal, Solano-Arias could have faced life in prison if he had been convicted of a charge of deprivation of rights under color of law involving kidnapping and aggravated sexual abuse.
Solano-Arias remains free on bail following the May 4, 2023, attack at 26 Federal Plaza, a building across the street from the federal courts complex.
In an appearance before a magistrate judge, Solano-Arias admitted to lying to FBI agents a day after the attack.
He said he “initially said no such act took place.” Then, he added: “I’m sorry.”
Solano-Arias said he was a lawyer in the Dominican Republic before he came to the U.S. and gained citizenship.
He was hired by a company that provides security services at the lower Manhattan building near City Hall, the city’s police headquarters and numerous courts.
In a release, U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said Solano-Arias had “abused the trust and privileges” of his job.
“Instead of working to keep the many federal employees and visitors at 26 Federal Plaza safe, Solano-Arias exploited his position of authority to sexually abuse an individual seeking asylum protection in the United States,” he said.
According to court documents, Solano-Arias spotted the victim in a line and offered to assist him with paperwork.
He eventually led the man to a locked office on the second floor of the building where he put his hand on his holstered firearm and demanded that the man provide oral sex, a criminal complaint said.
Although he initially resisted, the man complied because he saw Solano-Arias’s hand on his firearm and feared for his life, the complaint said.
After the attack, the man managed to record a brief video on his cellphone of Solano-Arias, and then reported the assault to authorities, the complaint said.
When Solano-Arias arrived for work the next day, federal agents confronted him. After initially denying any encounter with the victim, he later claimed that what occurred was consensual, authorities said.
veryGood! (32365)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Former Trump official injured, another man dead amid spike in D.C. area carjackings
- 'That '70s Show' actor Danny Masterson moved to maximum security prison that once held Charles Manson
- Nevada attorney general launches go-it-alone lawsuits against social media firms in state court
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Archaeologists in Egypt embark on a mission to reconstruct the outside of Giza's smallest pyramid
- Deadly school bus crash in Ohio yields new safety features and training — but no seat belt mandate
- Kentucky juvenile facilities have issues with force, staffing, report says
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- These Secrets About Harry Styles Will Have You Late Night Talking
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Dead & Company join the queue for Las Vegas residency at The Sphere
- Elmo asks the internet 'How are you doing?' Turns out, they’re not doing great.
- Republican lawsuits challenge mail ballot deadlines. Could they upend voting across the country?
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 'Feud: Capote vs. The Swans' premieres tonight: Start time, cast, where to watch and stream
- Stock market today: Asian stocks are mixed after Wall Street slips to its worst loss in 4 months
- Georgia governor signs bill that would define antisemitism in state law
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
75-year-old man dies after sheriff’s deputy shocks him with Taser in rural Minnesota
Vancouver Canucks acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary Flames
Video shows Indiana lawmaker showing holstered gun to students who were advocating for gun control
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Georgia district attorney prosecuting Trump has been subpoenaed over claims of improper relationship
Chicago becomes latest US city to call for cease-fire in Israel-Hamas war
Noah Kahan opens up about his surreal Grammy Awards nomination and path to success