Current:Home > ContactWhile North Carolina gambling opponents rally, Republicans weigh whether to embrace more casinos -Capitatum
While North Carolina gambling opponents rally, Republicans weigh whether to embrace more casinos
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:13:24
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — As North Carolina House members met privately over whether to authorize more gambling in the state, social conservatives, business owners and political candidates urged lawmakers on Tuesday to reject efforts to permit more casinos and legalize statewide video gaming machines.
Residents of rural Rockingham, Anson and Nash counties, which have been previously designated by legislators as potential locations for non-tribal casinos as part of “entertainment districts” in a proposal by House and Senate Republicans, visited Raleigh to lobby against the idea.
During a news conference outside the Legislative Building, the gambling opponents lamented the lack of public discussion about any gambling proposal. It could end up in the final state budget bill that the General Assembly probably will vote on next week if enough House and Senate Republicans want it there.
Tuesday’s rally of about 50 people holding “Keep Our Community Great” placards contrasted with the gambling interests — and their dozens of lobbyists — who have been extremely active during this year’s legislative session.
The news conference happened while House Republicans met behind closed doors in a caucus meeting that lasted over three hours. The level of support for casinos, video gambling terminals and other gambling options were discussed, Speaker Tim Moore said late Tuesday.
The General Assembly already passed a law in June that authorizes sports gambling starting next year. The state currently has three casinos, operated by two American Indian tribes.
Moore told reporters that his lieutenants were still contacting GOP colleagues to determine whether there are enough votes to move forward on more gambling.
“I want to know where our caucus is, and we just have to have a count,” Moore told reporters. “We don’t have it yet.”
Some lawmakers have said the three potential casinos and another gambling operations in southeastern North Carolina would generate state and local revenues, create jobs and counter expanded gambling in other states, particularly in Virginia.
But no official legislation has been introduced, frustrating opponents who say high-stakes gambling in their communities will lower residential property values, discourage people from moving in and breed social ills like crime that would hurt families.
“This is not about politics. This is about people. This is about the next generation. Our kids today have enough bad things on their doorstep,” said Joni Robbins, a real estate agent from Nash County, said at the news conference, warning: “If you mess with our kids, we will vote you out.”
Republicans hold veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate, but Moore said legislation usually won’t go forward in his chamber unless a majority of the 72 Republicans support it. Senate Republicans also would have to vote on any final budget that contains provisions to expand gambling.
Moore revealed to reporters few specifics of the potential gambling provisions being debated except that they weren’t identical to what had been made public earlier this year.
Short of blocking any legislation, many speakers at Tuesday’s rally said legislators should require local voter support for a casino through a referendum before one could be built.
“Our representatives have the chance today to stand up and show that they represent their citizens in their respective counties by allowing our citizens to have a voice in the destiny and values in their communities where they live,” said Rockingham County Sheriff Sam Page, who is also running for lieutenant governor next year. Former U.S. Rep. Mark Walker, Republican-North Carolina, who is running for governor, also spoke.
Moore said the proposal that House Republicans were considering would contain no local referendums, but instead leave decision-making to county commissions and city councils, whom voters elect.
The idea of a casino and entertainment complex has received a lot of attention in Rockingham County, where Senate leader Phil Berger lives. Berger has pointed out how a casino that recently opened in nearby Danville, Virginia, is popular with North Carolina residents, who are spending their money over the border.
Rockingham County commissioners last month voted unanimously to rezone nearly 200 acres of farmland for commercial use, despite opposition from many local residents. The rezoning was requested by a holding company linked to a casino developer.
Brandon Leebrick, a Greensboro attorney who helped organize Tuesday’s rally, said he anticipated that local landowners would mount a legal challenge to the commissioners’ rezoning decision.
veryGood! (399)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Indonesia landslide leaves dozens missing, at least 11 dead
- 12 Small Black-Owned Etsy Stores That Will Be Your New Favorite Shops
- How the SCOTUS 'Supermajority' is shaping policy on everything from abortion to guns
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Pride vs. Prejudice
- South Korea, U.S. shirk North Korea's threats of counteractions, carry on planning for joint war games
- Why Royal Family Fanatics Have to Watch E!'s New Original Rom-Com
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Jenna Ortega's Edgy All-Black 2023 SAG Awards Red Carpet Look Deserves Two Snaps
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Robert Gottlieb, celebrated editor of Toni Morrison and Robert Caro, has died at 92
- 18 Amazon Problem-Solving Products That Keep Selling Out
- Shop the Best Levi's Jeans Deals on Amazon for as Low as $21
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Many teens don't know how to swim. A grassroots organization is trying to change that
- At a 'Gente Funny' show, only bilingual audience members are in on the joke
- Woman arrested in killing, dismemberment of model Abby Choi in Hong Kong — the 7th person linked to the crime
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Vanity Fair's Radhika Jones talks Rupert Murdoch and Little House on the Prairie
How to Watch the 2023 SAG Awards
NAACP Image Awards 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
You Have to See Harry Shum Jr.'s Fashion Nod to Everything Everywhere at 2023 SAG Awards
Robert Gottlieb, celebrated editor of Toni Morrison and Robert Caro, has died at 92
'Diablo IV' Review: Activision Blizzard deals old-school devilish delights