Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-YouTuber MrBeast Says He Declined Invitation to Join Titanic Sub Trip -Capitatum
NovaQuant-YouTuber MrBeast Says He Declined Invitation to Join Titanic Sub Trip
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 10:17:19
In the wake of the Titan submersible tragedy,NovaQuant YouTuber MrBeast says he passed on a chance to ride in a sub making the same voyage to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.
The influencer, whose real name is Jimmy Donaldson, made his comments on Twitter June 25, three days after an underwater tourist craft operated by OceanGate Expeditions imploded 1,600 feet away from the famed shipwreck, killing all five passengers, including the company's CEO, Stockton Rush.
"I was invited earlier this month to ride the titanic submarine," he tweeted. "I said no. Kind of scary that I could have been on it."
While MrBeast did not note who extended the invitation, he included a screenshot of a text sent to him that read, "Also, I'm going to the Titanic in a submarine late this month. The team would be stoked to have you along. I'm sure you're also welcome to join-" before the pic cut off.
E! News has reached out to MrBeast's rep for further comment and to OceanGate Expeditions and has not heard back.
Also June 25, the U.S. Coast Guard said at a press conference that the June 22 discovery of the debris of the Titan submersible "marked the end of the U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue mission" and that the group has now opened a Marine Board of Investigation to determine the cause of the tragedy.
MrBeast is not the only person to recently say publicly they turned down an invitation to ride in a submersible to explore the Titanic shipwreck, a voyage that OceanGate charges $250,000 per passenger. Las Vegas businessman Jay Bloom said Rush himself invited him and his son Sean Bloom, 20, on the recent expedition but that they ultimately declined the offer.
"I was just not comfortable with the kind of resources that he had to pull this off, that it could be done safely," Jay told NBC News June 23. "Looking back, I'm very relieved and glad that my son and I did not go, just feel terrible for the people who did."
In addition, Nigerian politician Ned Nwoko said on Instagram this week that he turned down a seat on the Titan sub that ultimately imploded after being invited by his close friend and business partner, British billionaire Hamish Harding, one of the passengers who lost their lives.
In April, U.S. District Court Judge Rebecca Beech Smith, who presides over Titanic salvage matters from a Virginia federal court, received a letter from OceanGate Expeditions' legal and operational advisor that outlined the company's plans for upcoming trips to the wreckage—as well as a personal invitation to join one of them as a guest.
The following month, the judge wrote, "I thank you for the invitation to participate in the 2023 Titanic Survey Expedition, and perhaps, if another expedition occurs in the future, I will be able to do so."
Find out more info on the victims of the Titanic sub disaster below:
On June 18, 2023, a deep-sea submersible Titan, operated by the U.S.-based company OceanGate Expeditions and carrying five people on a voyage to the wreck of the Titanic, was declared missing. Following a five-day search, the U.S. Coast Guard announced at a June 22 press conference that the vessel suffered a "catastrophic implosion" that killed all five passengers on board.
Pakistani-born businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood, both British citizens, were also among the victims.
Their family is one of the wealthiest in Pakistan, with Shahzada Dawood serving as the vice chairman of Engro Corporation, per The New York Times. His son was studying at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland.
Shahzada's sister Azmeh Dawood told NBC News that Suleman had expressed reluctance about going on the voyage, informing a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic, but ultimately went to please his father, a Titanic fan, for Father's Day.
The Dawood Foundation mourned their deaths in a statement to the website, saying, "It is with profound grief that we announce the passing of Shahzada and Suleman Dawood. Our beloved sons were aboard OceanGagte's Titan submersible that perished underwater. Please continue to keep the departed souls and our family in your prayers during this difficult period of mourning."
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush was the pilot of the Titan. The entrepreneur—who founded the research company in 2009 in Everett, Wash.—had long been interested in exploration. Rush, 61, previously said he dreamed of becoming the first person on Mars and once said that he'd "like to be remembered as an innovator."
In addition to leading voyages to see the remnants of the Titanic, Rush had another surprising connection to the historic 1912 event: His wife Wendy Rush is the great-great-granddaughter of a couple who died on the Titanic, Ida and Isidor Straus.
British billionaire Hamish Harding confirmed he was a part of the mission in a June 17 Instagram post, a day before the submersible went into the water and disappeared.
"I am proud to finally announce that I joined @oceangateexped for their RMS TITANIC Mission as a mission specialist on the sub going down to the Titanic," he wrote. "Due to the worst winter in Newfoundland in 40 years, this mission is likely to be the first and only manned mission to the Titanic in 2023. A weather window has just opened up and we are going to attempt a dive tomorrow."
Harding—the chairman of aircraft company Action Aviation—said the group had started steaming from St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada and was planning to start dive operations around 4 a.m. on June 18. The 58-year-old added, "Until then we have a lot of preparations and briefings to do."
His past explorations included traveling to the deepest part of the ocean in the Mariana Trench, telling Gulf News in 2021, "It was an incredibly hostile environment. To travel to parts of the Challenger Deep where no human had ever been before was truly remarkable."
The Dubai-based businessman also circumnavigated the Earth by plane with the One More Orbit project and, last year, took a trip to space on Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin New Shepard rocket. Harding shared his love for adventure with his son Giles, described as a "teen explorer" on his Instagram.
As for the fifth member, a representative for French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet told the New York Times that he was a passenger on the Titan, with Harding also referencing him on Instagram as a member of the team.
The Times described him as a maritime expert who was previously part of the French Navy. The 71-year-old was a bonafide Titanic specialist and has traveled to the wreckage 35 times before. Nargeolet served as the director of RMS Titanic, Inc., a company that researches, salvages and displays artifacts from the famed ship, per the outlet.
Alongside fellow passenger Hamish Harding, he was a member of The Explorers Club, founded in 1904.
As Harding noted in his post, the submersible—named Titan—was a part of an OceanGate Expeditions tour that explores the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, which infamously sank in 1912.
The company expressed its sympathies to the families of the victims. "These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans," OceanGate said in a statement. "Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (3324)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- The Bachelor Finale: Gabi's Biggest Bombshell About Zach Revealed
- You Knead to See the Sweet Way Blake Lively Supported Ryan Reynolds on Deadpool
- Woman wins chaotic UK cheese race despite being knocked unconscious
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Iranian model who wore noose dress at Cannes says she wanted to highlight wrongful executions in her country
- Birth of world's rarest and critically endangered fruit bat caught on camera
- Ditch Your Self-Tanner and Save 65% On Sweat-Proof Tarte Bronzer That Lasts All Day
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Snorkeler survives crocodile attack by prying its jaws off of his head
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Amanda Kloots Recalls Dropping Nick Cordero Off at Hospital Nearly 3 Years After His Death
- The Real Housewives of Atlanta's Kim Zolciak-Biermann Returns in Epic Season 15 Trailer
- Why Katherine Heigl Had to Leave Hollywood to Raise Her Kids
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 20 Egg-Cellent Easter Basket Gifts That Aren't Candy
- Annemarie Wiley Filming for The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Season 13
- Transcript: House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries on Face the Nation, May 28, 2023
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Outer Banks Star Carlacia Grant Talks Viral Trends, Beauty Regrets, and Color-Changing Lip Balm
Australian mother pardoned after 20 years in prison for killing her young children
Scientists discover about 5,000 new species in planned mining zone of Pacific Ocean
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Scientists claim remarkable evidence that ancient human relatives buried their dead 240,000 years ago
Plot to kill Queen Elizabeth II during 1983 San Francisco visit revealed in FBI documents
Teen Mom's Jenelle Evans Says Relationship With Jace Is Closer Than Ever After Custody Battle