Current:Home > ScamsPoinbank Exchange|Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 09:52:08
ALEXANDRIA,Poinbank Exchange Va. (AP) — A jury could begin deliberations as soon as Thursday on whether a Virginia-based military contractor bears responsibility for the abuse of detainees 20 years ago at Iraq’s infamous Abu Ghraib prison.
The civil trial underway in U.S. District Court in Alexandria is the second this year involving allegations against Reston-based CACI, which supplied civilian interrogators to Abu Ghraib in 2003 and 2004 to supplement U.S. military efforts after the invasion of Iraq.
The first trial earlier this year ended in a mistrial with a hung jury that could not agree on whether CACI was liable.
The prison abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib shocked the world’s conscience two decades ago after photos became public showing naked, abused inmates forced into humiliating poses.
Military police who were seen in the photos smiling and laughing as they directed the abuse were convicted in military courts-martial. But none of the civilian interrogators from CACI ever faced criminal charges, even though military investigations concluded that several CACI interrogators had engaged in wrongdoing.
The current lawsuit, filed by three former Abu Ghraib detainees, alleges that CACI interrogators contributed to their mistreatment by conspiring with military police to “soften up” detainees for questioning by subjecting them to abuse that included beatings, sexual abuse, forced nudity and dog attacks.
The trial earlier this year was the first time a U.S. jury heard claims brought by Abu Ghraib survivors. It came after 15 years of legal wrangling and multiple appeals that saw the case thrown out, only to be revived on multiple occasions by a federal appeals court.
CACI maintains, as it has from the outset, that it did nothing wrong. It does not deny that some detainees were horribly mistreated, though it has sought to cast doubt on whether the three plaintiffs in this case have been truthful about the specific abuse they have claimed.
But CACI says its employees had nothing to do with the abuse. And they contend that any isolated misconduct by its employees is actually the responsibility of the Army, which CACI contends had complete supervision and control over the civilians it supplied to the war effort.
CACI sought again this week to have the case tossed out of court, arguing in its filings that the plaintiffs “have not presented evidence, nor maintain any claims that CACI personnel directly mistreated them. Instead, Plaintiffs seek to hold CACI vicariously liable for injuries inflicted by others.”
Lawyers for the plaintiffs have said that CACI’s contract with the Army, as well as the Army Field Manual, make clear that CACI is responsible for overseeing its own workers.
U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema, though, has allowed the case to go forward. Closing arguments are expected on Thursday.
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Catholic Church blasts gender-affirming surgery and maternal surrogacy as affronts to human dignity
- March Madness winners and losers: ACC, UConn, Cinderellas led NCAA Tournament highlights
- Green Bay Packers to face Philadelphia Eagles in São Paolo, Brazil in NFL Week 1
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Why JoJo Siwa Says She Has Trauma From Her Past Relationship
- Ford recalls nearly 43,000 SUVs due to gas leaks that can cause fires, but remedy won’t fix leaks
- Biden administration imposes first-ever national drinking water limits on toxic PFAS
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Kourtney Kardashian's New Photo of Baby Rocky Shows How Spring Break Is About All the Small Things
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- California court affirms Kevin McCarthy protege’s dual candidacies on state ballot
- Megan Thee Stallion Says She Wasn't Treated as Human After Tory Lanez Shooting
- Florida pastor stabbed to death at his church by man living there, police say
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Everything to know about Masters 2024 at Augusta National: Start times, odds, TV info and more
- Americans think they pay too much in taxes. Here's who pays the most and least to the IRS.
- Warning light prompts Boeing 737 to make emergency landing in Idaho
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Tennessee Senate advances bill to arm teachers 1 year after deadly Nashville school shooting
Megan Thee Stallion Says She Wasn't Treated as Human After Tory Lanez Shooting
College students are flocking to the Marriage Pact, mostly for fun, but some find lasting love
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Mandy Moore's Style Evolution Over the Years Is One to Remember
Report: LB Josh Allen agrees to 5-year, $150 million extension with Jaguars
Lunchables have concerning levels of lead and sodium, Consumer Reports finds