Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-After cuts to children's food aid, 4 in 10 poor families are skipping meals, survey finds -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-After cuts to children's food aid, 4 in 10 poor families are skipping meals, survey finds
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 00:48:18
During the pandemic, some low-income families in the U.S. received extra federal aid for buying groceries, a government effort that has since been scaled back. The result is soaring food insecurity among poor households with children, with more than 4 in 10 families who had received the benefit now skipping meals, according to new research.
That's double the rate of people who missed meals compared with a year ago, according to the study from Propel, which makes an app for food-stamp recipients to check their balances. Propel surveyed more than 2,800 of its users from August 1-14 about their levels of food insecurity, which is defined as not having enough food to lead an active and healthy life.
The government program, called the pandemic EBT or P-EBT, was authorized by Congress in 2020 when the COVID-19 outbreak shuttered schools across the nation. The plan helped families with children by providing them with money to buy groceries to replace the school meals kids were missing in school, but since last summer funding for P-EBT has dropped by 70%, Propel noted.
To be sure, the nation has largely regained its footing economically since the early days of the pandemic, and public schools have long since reopened. But the loss of nutritional aid for low-income households appears to be increasing hunger around the U.S. even as many families continue to grapple with inflation and elevated grocery prices.
The share of households with P-EBT benefits that skipped meals in August rose to 42% — more than double the 20% rate a year earlier, the survey found. About 55% of households receiving P-EBT benefits said they ate less in August, up from 27% a year earlier.
P-EBT benefits are facing further cutbacks because of the government officially declaring an end of the public health emergency in May. The program must distribute all its funds by September 30, and Congress this summer had trimmed the benefit to $120 per child, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. At its peak, the program had provided about $250 to $400 per child.
Households with kids are also experiencing other financial hardships. About 1 in 5 households with children were behind on their rent last month, compared to just 10% of childless households. And almost one-third of families with children were behind on their utility payments, compared with 16% of childless households, it added.
Over a seven-day period ending August 7, roughly 12% of U.S. adults — or nearly 23 million people — lived in a household where there was sometimes or often not enough to eat, according to Census data. In states such as Mississippi, that figure approached 20%.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Los Angeles Lakers rookie Bronny James assigned to G League team
- NYPD searching for gunman who shot man in Upper West Side, fled into subway tunnels
- New York bank manager sentenced to prison for stealing over $200K from dead customer: DOJ
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Victoria and David Beckham's Daughter Harper Shares Luxe Makeup Routine Despite Previous Ban
- 43 monkeys remain on the run from South Carolina lab. CEO says he hopes they’re having an adventure
- Wildfires keep coming in bone-dry New Jersey
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Grammy 2025 snubs: Who didn't get nominated that should have?
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- The 2025 Grammy Nominations Are Finally Here
- Republicans make gains in numerous state legislatures. But Democrats also notch a few wins
- Parents of 4-year-old who starved to death in NYC apartment charged with murder
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Alabama prison sergeant charged with sexual misconduct
- Meet the 2025 Grammys Best New Artist Nominees
- This Southern Charm Star Just Announced Their Shocking Exit Ahead of Season 10
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Man accused of illegally killing 15-point buck then entering it into Louisiana deer hunting contest
'Everything on sale': American Freight closing all stores amid parent company's bankruptcy
Beyoncé is the leading nominee for 2025 Grammys with 11 nods, becoming most nominated ever
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Bookstore lover inspires readers across America | The Excerpt
Kirk Herbstreit announces death of beloved golden retriever Ben: 'We had to let him go'
Llamas on the loose on Utah train tracks after escaping owner