Current:Home > Contact"They fired on us like rain": Saudi border guards killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants, Human Rights Watch says -Capitatum
"They fired on us like rain": Saudi border guards killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants, Human Rights Watch says
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:03:58
Saudi border guards fired "like rain" on Ethiopian migrants trying to cross into the Gulf kingdom from Yemen, killing hundreds since last year, Human Rights Watch said in a report Monday.
The allegations, described as "unfounded" by a Saudi government source, point to a significant escalation of abuses along the perilous route from the Horn of Africa to Saudi Arabia, where hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians live and work.
One 20-year-old woman from Ethiopia's Oromia region, interviewed by HRW, said Saudi border guards opened fire on a group of migrants they had just released from custody.
"They fired on us like rain. When I remember, I cry," she said.
"I saw a guy calling for help, he lost both his legs. He was screaming; he was saying, 'Are you leaving me here? Please don't leave me'. We couldn't help him because we were running for our lives."
HRW researcher Nadia Hardman said "Saudi officials are killing hundreds of migrants and asylum seekers in this remote border area out of view of the rest of the world," according to a statement.
"Spending billions buying up professional golf, football clubs, and major entertainment events to improve the Saudi image should not deflect attention from these horrendous crimes," she said.
The United States on Monday voiced alarm over the report and urged a full investigation.
"We have raised our concerns about these allegations with the Saudi government," a State Department spokesperson said."We urge the Saudi authorities to undertake a thorough and transparent investigation and also to meet their obligations under international law."
A Saudi government source told AFP that the allegations were unreliable.
"The allegations included in the Human Rights Watch report about Saudi border guards shooting Ethiopians while they were crossing the Saudi-Yemeni border are unfounded and not based on reliable sources," said the source, who requested anonymity.
The New York-based group has documented abuses against Ethiopian migrants in Saudi Arabia and Yemen for nearly a decade, but the latest killings appear to be "widespread and systematic" and may amount to crimes against humanity, it said.
Last year, United Nations experts reported "concerning allegations" that "cross-border artillery shelling and small-arms fire by Saudi Arabia security forces killed approximately 430 migrants" in southern Saudi Arabia and northern Yemen during the first four months of 2022.
- Abducted U.N. workers free after 18 months in Yemen
In March that year, repatriation of Ethiopians from Saudi Arabia began under an agreement between the two countries. Ethiopia's foreign ministry said about 100,000 of its citizens were expected to be sent home over several months.
The HRW report said there was no response to letters it sent to Saudi officials.
But the Houthi rebels who control northern Yemen alleged "deliberate killings of immigrants and Yemenis" by border guards, in response to a letter from HRW.
According to the rights group, migrants said Houthi forces worked with people smugglers and would "extort" them or keep them in detention centres where they were "abused" until they could pay an "exit fee".
The Houthis denied working with people smugglers, describing them as "criminals".
In 2015, Saudi officials mobilised a military coalition in an effort to stop the advance of the Iran-backed Houthis, who had seized the Yemeni capital Sanaa from the internationally recognised government the previous year.
Yemen's war has created what the UN describes as one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, with millions dependent on aid.
- Oil from "FSO Safer" supertanker decaying off Yemen's coast finally being pumped onto another ship
Many of the abuses described by HRW would have occurred during a truce that took effect in April 2022 and has largely held despite officially expiring last October.
The HRW report draws from interviews with 38 Ethiopian migrants who tried to cross into Saudi Arabia from Yemen, as well as from satellite imagery, videos and photos posted to social media "or gathered from other sources".
Interviewees described 28 "explosive weapons incidents" including attacks by mortar projectiles, the report said.
Some survivors described attacks at close range, with Saudi border guards asking Ethiopians "in which limb of their body they would prefer to be shot", the report said.
"All interviewees described scenes of horror: women, men, and children strewn across the mountainous landscape severely injured, dismembered, or already dead," it said.
Other accounts described forced rape and beatings with rocks and iron bars.
HRW called on Riyadh to end any policy of using lethal force on migrants and asylum seekers, and urged the UN to investigate the alleged killings.
- In:
- Human Rights Watch
- Human rights
- Saudi Arabia
- Ethiopia
- Migrants
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Jonathan Majors’ ‘Magazine Dreams’ lands theatrical release for early 2025
- U.S. port strike may factor into Fed's rate cut decisions
- Kylie Jenner walks the runway wearing princess gown in Paris Fashion Week debut
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Bankruptcy judge issues new ruling in case of Colorado football player Shilo Sanders
- New York Liberty push defending champion Las Vegas Aces to brink with Game 2 victory
- John Amos’ Daughter Shannon Shares She Learned Dad Died 45 Days Later Amid Family Feud
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Mega Millions winning numbers for October 1 drawing: Jackpot at $93 million
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Kate Middleton Embraces Teen Photographer Battling Cancer in New Photo
- Inside Pauley Perrette's Dramatic Exit From NCIS When She Was the Show's Most Popular Star
- John Amos’ Daughter Shannon Shares She Learned Dad Died 45 Days Later Amid Family Feud
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Gap Fall Clothes That Look Expensive: Affordable Luxury for 60% Off
- As dockworkers walk out in massive port strike, the White House weighs in
- They came to Asheville for healing. Now, all they see is destruction.
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
First and 10: Inevitable marriage between Lane Kiffin and Florida now has momentum
Frolic Into Fall With Lands' End's Huge Sitewide Sale: $7 Tees, $8 Bras, $10 Pants & More — Up to 87% Off
Hospitals mostly rebound after Helene knocked out power and flooded areas
Bodycam footage shows high
What is the birthstone for October? Hint: There's actually two.
As dockworkers walk out in massive port strike, the White House weighs in
NFL power rankings Week 5: Do surging Baltimore Ravens rocket all the way up to No. 1?