Current:Home > MyTop US envoy will return to Israel after stops in Arab nations aimed at avoiding a broader conflict -Capitatum
Top US envoy will return to Israel after stops in Arab nations aimed at avoiding a broader conflict
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:03:47
CAIRO (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken will return to Israel this week after completing a frantic six-country rush through Arab nations aimed at preventing the Israel-Hamas war from igniting a broader regional conflict.
The U.S. State Department announced Blinken’s plan to travel Monday to Israel — his second visit in five days — as America’s top diplomat arrived in Cairo for talks Sunday with Egypt’s president, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. It was the last of Blinken’s meetings with Arab leaders amid increasing fears that an impending Israeli ground offensive into Gaza could spark a wider war with devastating humanitarian consequences.
Department spokesman Matthew Miller told reporters traveling with Blinken that the secretary was returning to Tel Aviv “for further consultations with Israeli officials.” Miller did not elaborate.
Before landing in Egypt, Blinken met on Sunday morning with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh. That meeting followed talks over the previous three days with the leaders of the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan and the Palestinian Authority.
Blinken began the whirlwind trip on Thursday in Israel, pledging support and solidarity for the country as it responds to last week’s Hamas surprise attacks. Blinken also spoke by phone with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to seek Beijing’s support in discouraging others from getting involved.
Yet as plans for Israel’s military action to eradicate Hamas have taken shape with heavy airstrikes and warnings for more than a million Palestinians to evacuate the northern Gaza Strip, concerns for a broader conflict have intensified. In his talks with Arab leaders Blinken has stressed the importance of not allowing that to happen.
Underscoring the American fears, the U.S. military has positioned an aircraft carrier battle group in the Eastern Mediterranean and on Saturday announced the deployment of a second one. The naval presence is intended to serve as a deterrent to other countries and groups, like Iran and Syria and Lebanon’s Hezbollah, not to enter the conflict.
Also Saturday, as the Israeli military said its assault against Hamas targets in Gaza would begin very soon, President Joe Biden spoke by phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
U.S. officials have said the Arab reaction to Blinken’s message has been generally positive — acknowledging Israel has a right to respond to the Hamas attacks but expressing deep concern about the humanitarian situation in Gaza and unable to stay silent about the Palestinian civilian casualties that result. The Arab leaders have also said the current situation cannot be resolved without an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal that gives the Palestinians an independent state.
In his roughly hourlong meeting with Prince Mohammed at the de facto Saudi leader’s private farm outside Riyadh, Blinken “highlighted the United States’ unwavering focus on halting terrorist attacks by Hamas, securing the release of all hostages, and preventing the conflict from spreading,” the State Department said.
“The two affirmed their shared commitment to protecting civilians and to advancing stability across the Middle East and beyond,” according to a department statement.
The Saudi description of the meeting focused primarily on Palestinian civilians, echoing the sentiments that the other Arab leaders with whom Blinken has met. It said Saudi Arabia would object to the targeting of “civilians in any way or disrupt(ing) infrastructure and vital interests that affect their daily lives.”
The prince “stressed the need to work to discuss ways to stop the military operations that claimed the lives of innocent people,“ the Saudi Press Agency said in a report about the meeting.
Prince Mohammed also made clear the Saudi emphasis on the need to “stop the current escalation, respect international humanitarian law, including lifting the siege on Gaza, and work to create conditions for the return of stability,” it said.
Before the Hamas attacks in Israel last Saturday, Blinken had planned to visit Israel and Saudi Arabia this coming week to discuss what had been ongoing negotiations for an agreement to normalize relations between the two countries. After the attacks, Blinken changed his plans so he could get to Israel quickly to show solidarity. The normalization talks are now on hold, a result that U.S. and other officials believe was a main goal of Hamas and its prime sponsor, Iran.
Neither the U.S. nor Saudi statements mentioned the matter.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- North Carolina bill seeks to restrict public and media access to criminal autopsy reports
- McDonald's is getting rid of self-serve drinks and some locations may charge for refills
- Defense witness who angered judge in Trump’s hush money trial will return to the stand
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Climber's body found on Mount Denali in Alaska, North America's tallest
- How Taylor Swift Inspired Charlie Puth to Be a Bigger Artist IRL
- Perfect Match Trailer Reveals This Love Is Blind Villain Is Joining the Cast
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Wisconsin regulators investigating manure spill that caused mile-long fish kill
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Palace Shares Update on Kate Middleton's Return to Work After Cancer Diagnosis
- Can candy, syrup and feelings make the Grandma McFlurry at McDonald's a summer standout?
- Heavy equipment, snow shovels used to clean up hail piled knee-deep in small Colorado city
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Jennifer Lopez Briefly Brings Up Ben Affleck Amid Split Rumors
- A billionaire gave college grads $1000 each at commencement - but they can only keep half
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange can appeal against U.S. extradition, U.K. court rules
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
A billionaire gave college grads $1000 each at commencement - but they can only keep half
Significant Environmental and Climate Impacts Are Impinging on Human Rights in Every Country, a New Report Finds
Storms have dropped large hail, buckets of rain and tornados across the Midwest. And more is coming.
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Former New Hampshire youth center leader defends tenure after damning trial testimony
Defense witness who angered judge in Trump’s hush money trial will return to the stand
What Each Zodiac Sign Needs for Gemini Season, According to Your Horoscope