Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him? -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him?
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 09:22:31
Just a few weeks after the San Francisco Giants gave manager Gabe Kapler a vote of confidence,Rekubit Exchange insisting he would return in 2024, they changed their mind Friday and fired Kapler.
The immediate speculation is that Kapler could be replaced by San Diego Padres manager Bob Melvin if he’s also let go after their disappointing season.
Farhan Zaidi, the Giants’ president of baseball operations, said in a statement that he was the one who recommended that Kapler be fired, which was approved by ownership. It was Giants chairman Greg Johnson who told the San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month that Kapler and Zaidi would each be back in 2024 in the final year of their contract. So much for that declaration.
The Giants, who won 107 games just two years ago, have since had back-to-back losing seasons, including a 78-81 record this year, 20 games behind the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers entering the final weekend.
Kapler, a polarizing figure in the Giants’ clubhouse with their relentless platoons and use of their starting rotation, relying heavily on their bullpen, becomes the fall guy for a season gone wrong. Several players, including pitchers Ross Stripling and Alex Wood, publicly complained about their roles.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
The Giants were not only sloppy defensively this season, but almost abandoned the running game. They have stolen only 57 bases all season, the fewest in the major leagues. The Colorado Rockies had the second-fewest in baseball with 69 stolen bases.
This is the first time the organization has relieved a manager of duties since they replaced Jim Davenport with Roger Craig with 18 games remaining in the 1985 season.
Now, the Giants will be looking for their first manager since Bruce Bochy stepped away after the 2019 season, perhaps leading to Melvin.
The worst-kept secret in baseball is the strained relationship between him and Padres GM A.J. Preller, and if Melvin wants out, the Padres likely will let him leave with one year and $4 million remaining on his contract.
The managerial path from San Diego to San Francisco actually has been traveled before.
It was back in 2006 when Bruce Bochy left the Padres after the season, and was immediately hired by the Giants, leading the franchise to three World Series championships.
Now, history could repeat itself with Melvin.
Melvin, 61, and Zaidi worked together with the Oakland A’s, with Melvin managing the A’s for 11 years, winning two AL Manager of the Year awards.
Melvin is scheduled to meet with Preller and the Padres ownership immediately after the season to determine his future. Yet, if it were left entirely to Melvin, he surely would welcome a move back to the Bay Area where he grew up and is beloved in the community.
The Giants believed Friday they had no choice but to make a change.
Now, they may have no choice but to make sure that change includes Melvin as the natural successor.
Follow Nightengale on Twitter: @Bnightengale
veryGood! (225)
Related
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Sierra Leone jockey Tyler Gaffalione could face discipline for Kentucky Derby ride
- Doja Cat Is Essentially Naked in 2024 Met Gala After-Party Look
- Worker killed, another injured, when truck crashes through guardrail along California freeway
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Tayshia Adams Reveals What She Learned About Dating From Her Time in Bachelor Nation
- Paying college athletes appears closer than ever. How could it work and what stands in the way?
- Condé Nast workers reach labor agreement with publisher, averting Met Gala strike
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Police respond to shooting near Drake's Toronto home, reports say
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Sacramento mom accused of assaulting her child, 2, on flight from Mexico to Seattle
- Drake says he'd be arrested if he committed sexual assault. Statistically that's not true
- Teyana Taylor Debuts Blonde Bombshell Transformation at 2024 Met Gala
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Georgia woman identified as person killed in fall at Ohio State graduation ceremony
- Queen Latifah and Partner Eboni Nichols Make Rare Red Carpet Appearance at 2024 Met Gala
- Serena Williams Serves Up a Shiny Winning Look at the 2024 Met Gala
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Ariana Grande's Met Gala 2024 Performance Featured a Wickedly Good Surprise
Pamela Anderson stepped out in makeup at the Met Gala. Here's why it's a big deal.
Boy Scouts of America changing name to more inclusive Scouting America after years of woes
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Equinox's new fitness program aims to help you live longer — for $40,000
This is the FJ Cruiser pickup truck that Toyota should have built
Trump held in contempt again for violating gag order as judge threatens jail time