Current:Home > StocksRekubit-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -Capitatum
Rekubit-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 01:57:22
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on Rekubitthe actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (599)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Why Fans Think Ariana Grande’s New Music Is About ex Dalton Gomez
- Program that allows 30,000 migrants from 4 countries into the US each month upheld by judge
- A West Virginia bill to remove marital exemption for sexual abuse wins final passage
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- A St. Louis driver has been found guilty in a crash that severed a teen athlete’s legs
- Quinoa is a celeb favorite food. What is it and why is it so popular?
- Microsoft says it hasn’t been able to shake Russian state hackers
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Zendaya's Bold Fashion Moment Almost Distracted Us From Her New Bob Haircut
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- 10 years after lead poisoning, Flint residents still haven't been paid from $626.25M fund
- North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper rescinds 2021 executive order setting NIL guidelines in the state
- Missed the State of the Union 2024? Watch replay videos of Biden's address and the Republican response
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Barack Obama turned down a '3 Body Problem' cameo in the best way to 'GOT' creators
- Fulton County prosecutor Fani Willis and judge in Trump 2020 election case draw primary challengers
- 'Jersey Shore' star Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino and wife announce birth of 3rd child
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
A bill that could lead to a nation-wide TikTok ban is gaining momentum. Here’s what to know
Utah troopers stop 12-year-old driver with tire spikes and tactical maneuvers
Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin Privately Got Engaged Years Ago
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Summer House Star Paige DeSorbo Influenced Me To Buy These 52 Products
Program that brought Ukrainians to North Dakota oil fields ends
4 Missouri prison workers fired after investigation into the death of an inmate